How do i remove the data from my hard drive when my screen is broken?

Supertramp

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Hello,
Hello,
I have a Sony Vaio VGN NW20EF. Something is wrong with the screen, it was working fine now it is just black. When i boot it up the green light at the front comes on but no sounds and nothing on the screen. Have tried linking to an external monitor and got nothing. Think i can still hear the HD wizzing so am hoping that is ok.

I recently had to send the laptop back to Sony because of bad sectors (think thats the right term and don't know if its related!?) and they replaced the hard drive. I've contacted them about this issue and they cannot guarantee that i wont lose everything on the HD. I've got 1000's of photos i really dont want to lose!

Can i remove the HD in the same sort of ways mentioned above? Are these generic approaches that dont relate to specific laptops? And is this likely to invalidate my warrenty with Sony if i do so? Will they be able to tell if i've done it before i send it to them? Can you attach the drive to another laptop as i dont have access to a desktop and what connector do i need? Ive heard talk of a "caddy adaptor"?

Sorry, lots of questions and appreciate some of it may be repeating but really dont wanna get this wrong!

Thanks thanks thanks!!!

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
You should be able to remove the drive with relative ease. It's usually as simple as removing one or two screws and removing a panel on the underside of the laptop. From there you can hook it up to another PC (internally or externally, depending on the interface and your preference), and go from there. You can get 2.5" external enclosures for quite cheap, so that would be an option.

EDIT: copenhagenic beat me to it :p

Supertramp

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Awesome,

Any tips i need to think about when removing the drive itself? I've never done anything with the hardware of my computers so am a bit nervous about getting the screw driver out!!! Dont want to mess up the drive as i think its still ok!

Thanks, this is giving me hope!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

I would guess the flat screen is OK, since you attached a different monitor to the laptop and got the same results. Might try to view the BIOS system setup screen by clicking on the <del> key several times just after booting it up. If the BIOS screen appears, the monitor is OK.

Look in your user's manual (can't locate it online) and see if the HDD is a SATA drive. The HDD can be easily removed, and if a standard SATA drive, connected to a desktop SATA cable and power cable, and you can see if all you data is there. If so it should be backed up to another HDD for safety.

To connect to a separate laptop you would need an external USB enclosure and a USB cable to connect to an unused USB port.

Without a desktop computer, possibly a friend or local repair shop could check out the HDD and copy your photos before sending it back to Sony.

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Sorry I should have gone into more detail about removing the hard drive...

Some sonys are very easy to remove the drive.... some you have to take the entire laptop apart to remove the drive.

Could you post the model number of the sony...

The model number should be located somewhere around the screen area. For sonys I have noticed the correct model number is usually not on the back of the laptop for some reason.

Supertramp

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Hi, John_VanKirk:

I can't check the bios as i dont even get to the login screen. When i power up the green light at the front comes on for a second, then goes off for a fews seconds, then comes back on but the whole time the screen is completely black, not even a glow, just dead and i get no sounds either-any ideas? The drive is a SATA drive.

Hi copenhagenlc:

The model number is PCG-7185M. Really hope i dont have to take the whole thing apart!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it!!!

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Looks like you might be in luck. The Hard drive should be in a bay on the back of the laptop. So just remove the cover and screws and slide the hard drive out. Then you would hook it into the device and backup all your data.

http://imgur.com/im8eu.jpg

If the model numbers are right, I believe this will be the location of your Hard Drive.

Supertramp

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Yeah i have a cover like that on the back so that must be it! I'm very nervous but excited too! Dunno what the problem is with my screen, some searching suggests a problem with the motherboard!

lihuahellen

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Maybe you could try to remote on another good PC. .Just connect them together by input the IP address, and you can login in your Sony PC on another PC .It can avoid the screen problem. And back up the important data as soon as possible.

natasha22

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

Hello i got the same problem as the person before and i clicked on ur link that u sent but they dont have it anymore is there anything else and if i hook this up from my broken laptop to another laptop will it work and will i get all the info off my brother laptop