Sign in with
Your question

POST question

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2009 5:29:31 AM

I just recently got P6T motherboard, and assembled almost full PC... however I haven't got ram installed, because UPS delayed my order.

My question is, will anything display on the screen, if I don't have any RAM in slots?

More about : post question

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 6:10:20 AM

Nothing. Not even the BIOS screen where you would be setting up the RAM that is still at UPS.
m
l
August 20, 2009 6:20:51 AM

No, I was wondering if anything would appear on screen if i tried to turn it on...
Im not trying to set up ram voltage or timings or anything, just trying to find out if my motherboard ok ? is it possible without ram, is what I'm asking ?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 6:25:13 AM

You can turn the system on without RAM and it will not hurt the system being RAMless, but nothing will appear on the screen. With a working speaker hooked to the front panel speaker header the MB's BIOS should beep (no pictures) screaming at no RAM installed in the system.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 6:28:02 AM

It will unsuccessfully POST. You cannot get to the BIOS with an unsuccessful POST.
m
l
August 20, 2009 6:35:04 AM

No error messages.... Maybe its because sound drivers are not installed?
m
l
August 20, 2009 6:36:36 AM

Sorry its my first own build, so I'm a bit nervous about motherboard being defective....
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 6:43:28 AM

Not sound drivers. A working 'case' speaker has to be connected the the Front Panel Speaker Header to sound BIOS error 'beeps'. Error being no system RAM detected. No only are no sound drivers installed, no OS is either.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 6:48:31 AM

If your case happened to have one of these 'mini speakers' included, it can be plugged into the front panel speaker header to sound BIOS codes. Of course if the MB is detecting No RAM in the system and sounding error code...it's working.

http://store.cwc-group.com/8ohm.html
m
l
!