No sound from digital coaxial

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
hi guys,need help please.
i have a home media pc,running windows 7,when trying to connect to a surround sound sytem i cant get it to work with the digital coaxial option.
my surround sound sytem is fine,play dvds etc through it,all speakers ok etc,but when i try to play through it with my media centre,no sound,only through the tv.

i have
media centre pc,with RADEON HD 4350 GRAPHICS WITH HDMI OUT,and C-MEDIA CMI8768 7.1 SOUNDCARD with digital coaxial out.
tryint to run this through a PHILIPS HTS3357 HOME THEATRE SYSTEM that has digital coaxial in.

i have run an hdmi cable from media pc to my tv,and a coaxial cable to the surround,but only then get sound from the tv speakers not the surround sound system.

can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong please,its driving me crazy.

thank you in advance for any help or advise.

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
which settings do i alter,the 1 in windows 7,the 1 on the motherboard bios,or the 1 on the sound card?.

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
dont know whats gone wrong?,there is no option coming up for digital audio out,but my pc upstairs running the same windows 7 does show it,now im really confused.

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
played about with some settings,got the SPDIF opton back in the sound options.ive set it as default device,use the test option,and it shows the sound bar working at the side,but still no sound from my surround sound system.
i seem to be just going round in circles now,has anybody else had and solved the same problem?.thanks.

Spdif = Digital Optical, not Digital Coaxial, hence why setting Spdif produces no sound.

There should be a tab for Coaxial somewhere in the output tab...anyone know what thats listed under? I THINK it might be paired with the standard analog jacks, but I've never used coaxial as an output myself...

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
oh i see.well i go to control panel,sound and all it shows under first option is
SPEAKERS C-MEDIA PCI AUDIO DEVICE(WHICH IS OBV MY SOUND CARD)
SPDIF OUT

the top one is set as default device.but im sure on the other pc runnin the same windows 7,there are more options,am i missing something?,i may of switched something off while playing about with the settings?

shaunyboy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

it states in the soundcard booklet

(S/PDIF OUT-the digital output jack is a S/PDIF coaxial output,you can use an RCA cable to connect this to a digital recoder,mixer,or surround reciever.)

this is what i have been trying to do,but without success.

christy_11

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I met exactly the same issue with you. Did you resolve this issue? I have tried many ways, but still can't resolve it. If you get any solution, could you please share with me? Thank you very much!

RobAnt

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
That is incorrect.

SPDIF is both coax and optical. Electrically there is no difference once the optical signal has been converted.

RobAnt

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I found that installing RealTeks audio drivers caused problems for me insofar as there was no audio output via spdif at all.

Rolling back to the original windows 7 drivers have resolved the issue partially, but I've found that if I'm watching something with 5.1 Dolby Digital I have to reset my receiver by changing the input mode briefly to analogue, then back to digital.

A pain, but I expect Realtek will resolve the issue in due course.

G

Wow thats effed up. I uninstalled the drivers i had for my RealTek onboard soundcard. Now everythings working with the SPDIF on my X-fi Platinum. DAMN YOU REALTEK!

mraxelroth

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I know this thread is dead but I'm having the same trouble. S/pdif audio out from Win7 Pc to Acoustic energy home theatre = static and popping. no sound.