Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard + pci sound card dying?

Last response: in Components
June 9, 2009 12:47:38 PM

Hello! I've been having trouble with my computer's sound. I've built 3 computers with exactly the same parts 2 or 3 years ago, However one of them had the motherboard sound dying after using the PC for a few hours, so I put a 5.1 surround card into one of the PCI slots. But the sound always dies after using the PC for several hours, I've tried different slot and download updates/codecs, as far as I can see it seems the card might be overheating (it's only a Dse brand card). But the other two computers don't have this problem.

If I click on my sound in the tray/notification bar I get this message:

But when I check the Audio Devices in Device Manager I can clearly see the PCI card is installed (no yellow exclamation marks or red x's or disabled hardware).

When I go to Sound Devices in my control panel it says there are no audio devices (no onboard sound which I have and is disabled as well as no PCI sound card listed).

Strangely when I'm clicking through windows explorer I do have sound and I always have sound after resetting the computer and it takes several hours again for it to get to a state where it's unusable again. Obviously this is really annoying and I don't want to splash out money on a new sound card if I have the same problem again.
June 16, 2009 6:18:29 AM

Hi Final Fantasy Fanatic (Errr....),

Have you tried reinstalling your sound card drivers? In the first case, are you sure you're using the correct drivers?
June 16, 2009 12:16:20 PM

Yes, I've done that twice at least but eventually I get the same problem anyway, I'm using the drivers that came with it, I have tried locating drivers online but it is incredibly hard with some DSE brand products.
!