Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5Q Freezing Problems

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2009 9:46:21 AM

Hi guys

Over the last few days i have seen quite a few "help me's" on systems freezing up.. and they were all running an Asus P5Q MB.. I too have the same problem with my P5Q Deluxe.

My Setup:
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
E8500
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2
HIS 4850
Coolermaster Geminii
Coolermaster 550W Extreme PSU

From all the reports they have all frozen up solid, no alt-tabbing, nothing working, but a system restart.. the freeze also loops whatever sound was playing at that time.

My personal guess is that its the sound drivers. Im using the onboard sound - SoundMax. I tried downloading "newer" drivers from the ASUS website but it did not solve the problem.
Is there anyone out there who is not using the onboard sound but their own sound card and not having this problem?
I unfortunately do not have a sound card lying around to actually test if this is the case or not...

Anyone got a solution or an idea of how we can fix this???

Any feedback at all would be a great help!

Regards,
Droogle
March 9, 2009 3:26:04 PM

SO!

I just got home from work.. turned on my wonderful PC..
Played a song.. and FREEEZEEE..

I have now disabled my onboard sound from bios. playing my music and running web pages/apps and all i can try with games..and nothing hanging yet.

Will keep you guys posted with regards if its a sound driver issue or not..

cheers.
March 9, 2009 6:17:50 PM

I tried the same aproach on my system, although i have a slightly different mb (p5q se/r) and it came with RealTek audio stuff, didn't work for me, does it still work for you?
Related resources
March 9, 2009 8:52:48 PM

So far so good..
It seems to be running fine now.. not a single freeze since i disabled my onboard sound :p 

Damn annoying tho, the driver available on the ASUS site does not fix this..
Well now i got to go buy a sound card if want any sound i guess.

Unless anyone out there has the solution? :p 
March 9, 2009 9:25:25 PM

Scratch that... just %&^%$& froze up as i posted that response... and then again trying to open the page again.

Im flawed and depressed.. anyone. out there..please... help..!

:( 

Droogle
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 9, 2009 9:41:34 PM

Have you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? Have you run memtest86+ for a few hours to test for RAM errors?
March 10, 2009 3:46:47 AM

i don't have the same board but my system run fine on xp 32 went to vista 64 had problem with freezing installed correct sound driver no problems since

March 12, 2009 1:17:28 AM

i freeze sometimes too, but not lately, p5q pro
March 12, 2009 5:42:12 AM

mamybe its your OS, try reinstalling your OS, im using EP45-UD3LR and had the same problem-pc freeze up/hangs. i ran a memtest and my memory is fine no errors, took my pc to the store where i bought it then change the mobo still freezing, then my vga, at fisrt i thought it was my vga cause when they change my vga my pc didnt freeze, but when changing vga with the same brand pc hangs, thet test my hdd and all are good, then they use a new fresh clean install os hdd to run and it was fixed then, maybe try reinstalling your OS
March 12, 2009 6:07:51 AM

i been quite busy so have not had the chance to test too much..

checked my voltages, which were all on auto but they were fine.
Whats strange is that it is a fresh install of my OS on a new HDD.

What happened was my PC got hit by lightning which destroyed my MB, CPUfan, PSU and crazy enough my DVD Rom. I sent it in to guy who ran diagnostics on all my hardware and nothing else was damaged. I never had this problem before.

Decided to get an extra few storage with a new HDD while i replaced those fried components and did a fresh install of Vista SP1 on the new HDD. Now that i think of it, i never cleaned up my Vista install on the previous HD... so its technically still installed and runnable from my old HD which is secondary.. would that be a cause due to conflicts freezing up the system?

Another thing i noticed last night was that when i change the soundmax (software for onboard sound) EQ and balances, of my 4 satellite speakers, two of them stopped working. When i opened up my player again they worked. One of the Satellite speakers also started making funny scratchy sounds.

This is all stumping me, as i disabled my onboard sound in my bios and it still froze up.. unless im being stupid and missing something.
May 24, 2009 7:07:42 PM

Hi there, I have P5Q DELUXE. BIOS 2005 PC freeze just a seconds and next back work normally.

I need put my CPU little overclock. to not get freeze complete .

any suggestions ?
June 9, 2009 7:16:04 PM

Hey,

Did anyone have any luck fixing this? I'm have exactly the same problem.

ASUS P5Q SE/R
Intel Q6700
2x 2Gb Kingston PC2-5800 (1066 MHz)
ATI 4770 512mb
Coolermaster iGreen 600W

As for OS I'm switching (by swapping SATA cables) between Vista x64 Business and Windows 7 x64 on two different Samsung Spinpoint's.

I found my pc to be totally unstable with 2 sticks of the Kingston ram in, both dual and single channel config. When I use one stick at a time it seems to be fine, it doesn't matter which stick either, or so it seems *eyes pc*. I also have a couple of old 512Mb sticks of Corsair PC-5400 which I've tried and found it to work perfectly (albeit a bit slow) in dual and single channel config.

Just to add to the fun I've manually clocked down and dropped the voltages based on the spec's from kingston to similar levels as the Corsair memory and it still freezes. I've also run memtest for 9 straight hours and it detected no problems and no freezing.

Oh and this is the second batch of ram too, the first batch I had the same problem with and couldn't solve the problem so I returned it believing it to be faulty.

Any ideas?
June 10, 2009 11:37:41 AM

hey m8!

Well i eventually fixed it. Still not 100% sure what it was, but most prob RAM issue somehow..

I replaced my Corsair RAM with new Kingston HyperX. I also got hold of Windows7 64bit and am swapping via SATA with my old Vista SP1 just as you are doing..

Everything seems to be working fine with the new RAM. I set my Timings manually as well so not sure if that made an impact or not.

It only ever Froze in Vista, after new RAM and timing setting no freezing.. Windows 7 RC 64bit is running perfectly, had no problems at all.. *touch wood ;) 

Double check your voltage setting and timings maybe...

good luck!
June 12, 2009 12:06:11 PM

I am having the exact same problem. System lock, only reboot works. No blue screen at all, just freezes wherever I am.
I took what I know is good RAM from another computer, same problem.
I swapped hard drives and fresh Windows XP Home install and used a different sata cord in a different slot, same problem.
I have freezes while in BIOS.
I've updated to the latest BIOS, same problem.
I've updated all the drivers off the ASUS website, same problem.
Memtest doesn't run for very long as there is the same system freeze.
I've tried Desable C1E support and shutting off Speed Step, same problem.

Any other suggestions as I'm at wits end here.
June 12, 2009 4:43:14 PM

The problems you ASUS P5Q Pro owners are having is almost certainly memory related. Every so often ASUS bring out a board that suffers from stability problems born out of RAM compatibility issues and the P5Q Pro seems to be the latest addition to this dismal record. I personally considered purchasing one of these boards but in the end i opted for the brilliant BioStar TPower I45 and am i glad i did.

Some of you may be able to sort your problems out by setting up your RAM manually in the bios and some of you will no doubt have to RMA your boards and pray your replacements will work as their supposed to. Dont get me wrong, the P5Q Pro is a great board if you get one from a good batch but so many ppl have had issues with this board it just cant be coincidence, it has to be something inherently bad in the workmanship or the manufacturing process.

Here is a link to a man who may be able to help some of you who are having RAM problems

For those who cannot be helped i suggest you send your boards back and exchange them for a different P45 board like a Gigabyte or if you can get one, a BioStar TPower I45.

Good luck
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2009 11:49:30 PM

droogle said:
Hi guys

Over the last few days i have seen quite a few "help me's" on systems freezing up.. and they were all running an Asus P5Q MB.. I too have the same problem with my P5Q Deluxe.

My Setup:
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
E8500
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2
HIS 4850
Coolermaster Geminii
Coolermaster 550W Extreme PSU

From all the reports they have all frozen up solid, no alt-tabbing, nothing working, but a system restart.. the freeze also loops whatever sound was playing at that time.

My personal guess is that its the sound drivers. Im using the onboard sound - SoundMax. I tried downloading "newer" drivers from the ASUS website but it did not solve the problem.
Is there anyone out there who is not using the onboard sound but their own sound card and not having this problem?
I unfortunately do not have a sound card lying around to actually test if this is the case or not...

Anyone got a solution or an idea of how we can fix this???

Any feedback at all would be a great help!

Regards,
Droogle

First sorry if my english is bad :) .

Well i had that problem some time ago. Random freezing and music continue to loop..
Problem was with overheat the GPU. So download Realtemp and you can see the GPU temp normally idle is 40-50'C and max is 80'C if heat over 80'C you need to buy better cooling for your VGA because some of new graphic cards dont have good cooling and their non-polished aluminium SUX badly and they cant keep VGA chip cold.
August 25, 2009 1:34:00 AM

I have a standard P5Q mobo and I've been having the same problems for months, first with W7 RC, after 12-24 hours of leaving the pc on the sound starts to distort/crackle randomly in Winamp (later with youtube and other audio sources), then I was using the onboard sound, I tried different drivers to no avail, so then I purchased a SB Live 24, problem continued, I replaced the 24 (due to drivers being old and not updated) to a XFI, same problem continue. The audio loops/pc freezes when I close Firefox (2 x windows x 6-8 tabs), that's when the audio loops and the system freezes for about 1-4 minutes, after that the system recovers again and the sound becomes better for a while, if I close uT, same deal. So I thought this might be related to the RC so I upgraded to RTM, same deal, problem slightly occurs after 24 hours this time, though not as severe, I also changed the ram from 2gb Corsair to 4gb Corsair. I too think that it could be an issue with ram or hdd access via the motherboard.
August 25, 2009 1:17:29 PM

I had the same problem, and I've been googlin day and night until hunter315 and Shortstuff_mt gave the the answer. Do change your Ram Voltage to whatever it is supposed to be, dont leave it on Auto. And do set the correct speed/Timing, and Do set the right Frequency.

On DDR3 I am currently using 1333MHz as frequency,
9-9-9-24 As speed and
1.7V on my DRAM

this is changed( on asus board in general I think )under AI Tweaker in BIOS

Hope this helped, thanks :) 
August 27, 2009 10:32:45 PM

Sorry I messed up, problem is occurring with my P5N-e SLI board, but I guess you can say same sh|t different smell, I do have W7 on a P5Q which I might experiment with.
November 23, 2009 6:03:19 AM

just turn off cpu speadtrum it wnt freeze
November 23, 2009 4:24:09 PM

I have been screwing with this motherboard for a month. I have tried different memory and every conceivable memory setting possible. It can now stay up for a week or two without freezing. Since I am using the computer for a security system while I am away this is unacceptable.

I finally solved the problem by replacing the motherboard with a GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775.

No more Asus for me!!!

Sing
March 3, 2010 1:59:40 PM

Hi guys... Same problem over here... But i don't know how to fix it! Can anyone help me to fix the ram voltage and timing
?
!