Dell HDD not showing correct capacity

michial

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hello,
I have a 750gb hdd in my xps 8100. When I saw it was low I moved about 200 gb to an external but the origianl hdd only freed up about 2gb even though I moved(not copied) it to another drive. I cant figure it out. So I know I have at least a few hundred freed gbs but it doesnt show when anything is transferred from it.

Download SpaceMonger from here http://download.cnet.com/SpaceMonger/3000-2248_4-10050288.html and that will tell you what's on there and what space remains.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Check out spaceMonger, when you transfer files from one physical HDD to another, windows will Copy them rather than Move (copy and delete), as compared to moving files from one folder to another on the same volume.

So see if the original files are still on the internal HDD, is so, just delete them.

Also if you have Nortons protected Recycle Bin running, when you delete a file, it is moved into the protected recycle bin for a set period of time or until you physically delete them and the disk space essentially remains the same.

michial

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
None of these apply. Say I 'move' 100 gb to an external, the original hdd may free up by 1 gb or two. I need to upgrade anyhow. Should I just buy another and replace it or just buy another internal as a secondary. I dont know how to fix this silly thing.