Holy Memory overloads Batman!!!!!!!

Well I thought 1Gb was a lot for a single GPU until I saw this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102826

And no its not a typo or a X2. Its a 4870 2GB. It has 2GB of GDDR5 and so far since it is using better caps people have been able to hit 810MHz +/- core and 1025MHz (4100MHz effective) +/- in overclocking.

Now most games today may not benefit from this much like most games from yesterday didn't really benefit from 1Gb or even 512MB a while back. But I am thinking if more games come out like Crysis (who love large high quality textures and gobble up VRAM) or GTA IV that load a lot of textures into memory (when I max out GTA IV now it uses all of my current 1GB card) this may be decent.

Or it could be a cheaper (when the price goes down) alternative to a 4870X2 since whne in CF if you have 2 512MB cards you have 512MB of VRAM and so on and so forth.

So thoughts anyone?

Im thinking we arent far from a larher amount of 1 gig cards being mainstream. 2 gigs? Who knows? We will have alot more in DX11, and it could require it in some games, more than we see today

I have always been the one to jump ahead of the crowd. Back in 2007 when people said quad would be useless in games I said nay and got one. Now quads are starting to be utilized.

I also got SATA when it first hit knowing it would benefit a system.

For this I am tempted. I went with a 1GB 2900Pro because I try to make my systems last longer. Now that Rockstar has a engine that uses a lot we may see games in the future that can utilize 1GB +. Makes me want one.

I know I will get a 4870 to replace my 2900 in the near future. I am tempted between this or Sapphires Toxic edition thats OCed pretty nicely stock itself and shows good return in games. Choices.... they always suck.

Well that is fine and all, but if you watch what happens when you jump ahead and buy the newest, latest, bestest, most EXPENSIVE.....what usually happens is by the time you really get to make use of it, there are less expensive options available that perform better than what you have.
Personally, I only buy hardware that is about 6 months to a 1 year old. Fewer bugs, way less expensive, and the performance gap in real world use is not far at all behind the new, more pricey hardware.
But to each his own, and his wallet!

TRENDING THREADS