Reccommendations For a Good Gaming 17" LCD

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hi, im out for my first ever LCD buy. Ive been reading a few reviews and now theyve started to get good, weve decided to get one to replace our old CRT. I use the computer mainly for gaming and web browsing. So i need one with a good refreshh/seek time and also a good definition. So can anyone reccommend me a good 17" LCD monitor that fits this requirement as well as a reasonable price range.
Ive heard some good stuff about samsung but thats it so far, any suggestions are needed.

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

acesea

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Definately the samsungs are nice. check out my new thread, i mention the 191t. very very nice monitor. right now i think its the nicest one on the market in all aspects. im sure that the smaller siblings are right up there with it with just a few lesser specs. also, look at the viewsonics. ive heard a lot of good things about them too, and ive seen them, the vx look nice. i like the samsungs more tho :)

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Too late... Ive just been an ordered an Iiyama AS4315U. Looks pretty nice, its in the same 'family' as the one they reviewed here, has the same LCD, just fewer features so its looking good!

The lowest end Iiyamas don't have a DVI, only a regular analogue input. The rest of the Iiyama range is great. They even have a 22" flat panel that is sweeeeeeeet.

Forum Pervert

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Dont worry, my Iiyama does have DVI. BTW, I currently have a GC with only VGA out put, what is the cheapest card anyone has seen with a DVI output. Im looking around the GF2/3 mark, although I was thinking of going for a Radeon 8500LE from newegg, unfortunately, they dont shop to England :(, and any radeon in england costs atleast £150 (bout $190). So, im kinda stuck, and im sooo looking forward to getting DVI :)

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok all, I just got the Iiyama and it rocks. As soon as I turned it on I got an automatic screen setup which set it up perfectly, no longer any curved lines or black borders :). Its also much brighter than my CRT, this on minimum brightness is brighter than my CRT on maximum. The resolution is much higher (nice for games) aswell. Its really nice, no ghosting etc etc, I would reccomend this to anyone.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Well, I got mine from dabs.com (it is a uk site) and it cost me £574 including VAT and shipping. Thats really the only store I know so I probably could have got it for a slightly cheaper price... oh well, its brilliant :)

BennyBanjo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
You say that you can't get a hold of an ATi card in the UK. What about www.komplett.co.uk?
They have Hercules 3D Prophet FDX8500LE 64MB listed at £70.15 (incl VAT)

You can't get the original made by ATi card itself, only the clones from Hercules, Gigabyte, etc. They're all avilable in the UK now.

Ati are only releasing their own cards in the US and Canada.

:eek: Wingding - sugar and spice and all things vice :eek:

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Dont worry I got a GF4 Ti4200 for £115 from microdirect (my new favourite uk store) and that has DVI and better performance

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Ok all, I just got the Iiyama and it rocks. As soon as I turned it on I got an automatic screen setup which set it up perfectly, no longer any curved lines or black borders :). Its also much brighter than my CRT, this on minimum brightness is brighter than my CRT on maximum. The resolution is much higher (nice for games) aswell. Its really nice, no ghosting etc etc, I would reccomend this to anyone.
Why don't you post a link for all the see you new monitor?

<font color=purple><b>Listen twice as much as you Speak. Better yet, Think twice. :wink: </font color=purple></b>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=323" target="_new">MY RIGS</A>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Yeah, matter of fact I am thinking of replacing my CRT, because it has been acting up lately, i.e., split display screen on bootup sometimes, and somtimes no power light. It is time I think, so if you have some advice I'm all ears (I mean eyes) LOL!

<font color=purple><b>Listen twice as much as you Speak. Better yet, Think twice. :wink: </font color=purple></b>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=323" target="_new">MY RIGS</A>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Specifically what do u use ur comp for? If u need it for fast moving applications- ie games, movie editing, etc., u need a low response time, so the new LCD by Hitachi would be suitable (It's got a 16ms response time), but if u wait, you can have better selection of such lcd's, you'll start seeing FFD LCD's (so response time will be even lower for not pure black/ white colors) and u can prolly get a few more bells and whistles for less.

dusijtpmo- don't use stupid internet jibberish to piss me off

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Yes, fast gaming is my speed.You know after skip reading through this massive thread over in the <A HREF="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=67909965&m=4190936913" target="_new">ARS forum</A>, I am going to do some studying on LCD DVI panels. Thanks, I will checkout the Hitachi w/16ms response time, but the FFD LCD's will probably be way above my speanding ranges. I hear that LCD prices are about to drop in a few weeks anyway. Do you have an LCDpanel you are using for gaming?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Not currently though my friends have. One has a 50ms response time 15", and it's ok, but kinda annoying when playing cause of the ghosting. Another has a 40ms 17", it's a little better, but still not great. I'm waiting for the ultimate:)- 18/19" LCD, 16 ms or less response time, 170º viewing angles, FFD, maybe even OCB, 500+ contrast, and brightness <230cd/m^s(or something like sharp's lcd's where u can set the intensity of the backlights).

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Sounds like you are planning to spend a $wod! Hey, what do you think about the reveiw article that <b>radpilot</b> posted about the <b><font color=blue>CML174</font color=blue></b> in the next thread?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Seems nice. In terms of response time, it's pretty quick, but I imagine that blur would be gone w/ FFD there (they say they noticed no blur, but I'msure under the right circumstances one would notice). Contrast was good, and brightness, imo, the lower the better (as long as it's not ridiculously low). Thing is though that the backlights will get dimmer faster and more noticeably, but those can always be replaced. I think the author took too much of a stylistic pov there hehe. About the viewing angles, what can I say, on LCD they're annoying. All in all it's one of the best LCD's out there, but can be improved upon, so if u can wait, do so. O, and yes I am prepared to spend a little extra on the LCD....when my dad initially was going to get it for me as a Christmas present last year, his max price was ~$800, and now it gains interest, so I'm at around 1100 right now hehehehe.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
O, and yes I am prepared to spend a little extra on the LCD....when my dad initially was going to get it for me as a Christmas present last year, his max price was ~$800, and now it gains interest, so I'm at around 1100 right now hehehehe.
I'm glad you aren't my son. :lol: You have parents that sure think the world of you. You better remeber them later on when they need you the most. :wink: BTW, thanks for the advice!

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
yeah, my 17" CRT is still great, but when a good 19" LCD monitor comes out with DVI and a sub 20ms response time, i think i'm going to blow my savings on one :)

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mol_gen" target="_new"><font color=red>My Computer</font color=red></A>