Sign in with
Your question

Heat spreader / heatsink?

Last response: in Memory
August 20, 2009 9:26:52 PM

Well, again, upon building the new computer, I'm looking for parts with confusion.

Memory Heatsinks / Heatspreaders. What ever you wanna call them... are they necessary?

Where I'm buying the computer, my choice is landing on OCZ memory. I don't remember hearing bad things about OCZ, so that's a choice. But as far as the Platinum or Reaper series, the only difference seems to be the heatsinks.

DDR3 memory, same timing, same 4GB dual channel, same price here. So should I really care about the heatsink on them? Reaper has a heatpipe type heatsink, Platinum has the perforated heatspreader. Will the heatpipes really take away heat and does DDR3 really heat up that much that it requires a heatsink?

More about : heat spreader heatsink

August 20, 2009 11:23:43 PM

It sounds like you plan to overclock your system since you are looking at high speed memory. Heatsinks are in general more of a marketing tool than a necessity.
It would help to know what you are planning to build in order to comment on what will or won't work well.
August 21, 2009 2:04:17 PM

What temperature will RAM get to? We can understand a heatsink on a chip like a CPU because it would run way over 70*C and burn itself, but RAM? Will it go at 50*C even? Chips have no problem running at 50 degrees Celsius.

And yes, I do plan on overclocking my computer, but not to insane numbers. At the prices the AMD Black Edition are selling for, why not? :) 
August 21, 2009 6:39:40 PM

If you really want, get one of the RAM coolers that are sold nowadays...somewhere around $30 and you get fans right on the RAM.
!