Do you think this cooler will fit?

thepieguy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Hey, I put the boxed HSF from my E8400 on, and I'm thinking about replacing it with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. I'm concerned that it might not fit, mainly because the RAM I bought has big coolers that might get in the way. I have a full tower, so the case isn't really a concern. Does anybody have a similar setup that can weigh-in here?

E8400
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

I found a single reviewer for that RAM that also had a Freezer, but it was on some DFI MB. Found no reviewer using that RAM on the UD3R. What I did find is this:

Fit w/o problems with GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard and XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 CPU heat sink.

If you haven't bought the MB yet, upgrade to the UD3P to play it safe. You get Crossfire for $10 more, I think. The HDT-S1283 is definitely better than the Freezer 7 Pro. The Freezer 7 Pro is perfect if you want mild overclocks with silence, but won't let you push the clocks as far as the HDT-S1283.

thepieguy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks guys. I was thinking about the HDT-S1283 also, sounds like it may be a better option. But I need to do a little more research to see if it will fit. The main concern is the RAM with that big heatpipe/heatsink coming out of the top.

The HDT-S1283 will fit with that RAM, on the GA-EP45-UD3P. That's what the reviewer I quoted was using. I can't guarantee that it will fit on the UD3R too, but I'd bet it fits. Have you already bought the GA-EP45-UD3R?

thepieguy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Oh, that's awesome, it should fit on the UD3R because it looks like the cpu socket and RAM slot locations are the same as the UD3P. In hindsight I probably should have bought the UD3P but I was really trying to stick to my budget. Thanks a lot for your help!