marcop313

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
ok i dont know if im posting this in the right category but here goes.
I have a heatsink that is wearing out (Foxconn) so i bought a new one off of ebay :http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pentium-4-socket-478-CPU-heat-sink-fan-clips-paste_W0QQitemZ250482702072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a51eeb6f8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Waited 4 days and it came in. I then installed it and the computer ran fine till it went through 2 seconds of windows and then shut down. i started it back up and then it did some beep where it was one higher pitch then a lower pitch twice. The Bios loaded up and said the CPU overheated but before I could press f4 to continue it shuts down again! so i assumed its the heatsink thats defective. send it back exchanged it and tried it. Same exact thing! so i put back the old foxconn to see if it works. Haha it did so that was puzzling. Found another (Name brand-Masscool) and tried that. it did the same thing and shut off. so my sudden curiosity was to put back the foxconn and it STILL worked. I have a Intel Desktop D875PBZ with a socket 478 3.0 ghz HT northwood processor, 2gb memory, with nvidia bfg geforce 5500 graphics card (PCI), a sound blaster live sb0410 (PCI), two case fans and a 580watt power supply. Anyone have any ideas?

Solution
Thermal paste.
Did you clean off the cpu and the heatsink mating surface with alcohol and apply fresh paste to them?

marcop313

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I just reapplied the grease and it worked. its been on for a half hour and nothing has happened so far. i guess i never put enough 'cuz this time i put extra and it worked. i'll see how it works for the next couple of days. In the mean time... THANK YOU! :D

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
you should only need to use a small ammount.

I typically wipe down the chip and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol wipes.

Then I do 4 very small beads in the corners, and 1 in the middle. Then I use a single edge razor and gently smooth the beads to cover the surface, increasing pressure as I go along.

Giving the chip surface a thin but even coating has been most effective for me - I have been using Arctic silver 5 for the past few years but have recently switched to arctic silver ceramique with similar results (testing to see its endurance). Although, I still recommend AS5 as the tried and true thermal compound.

TRENDING THREADS