How to work around the HD4850 card checks fan is on when booting up???

genernic

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hey! I am having an issue with my setup
I'm upgrading the "reference design" gigabyte hd4850 512MB by adding the Accelero S1 Rev 2 heatsink. using only passive cooling.

First, when booting the computer, I get no image at all(!) The only light comming from the computer are two red LED's on the back of the HD4850 card. So, while having the S1 Rev 2 situated on the card I plugged in the stock fan to the cards fan controller and when I boot the computer it is back up and running and the leds are not lit. Basically it seems the card checks that the fan is connected and running before allowing any signal to the screen (makes perfectly sence to avoid overheating with the stock cooling I guess!)

So now I have a stock cooler sitting at the bottom of my computer doing nothing, but making noise and making sure the 4850 boots up.... really silly when the wole point was to get rid of the "loud" stock fan...

the accelero S1 Rev 2 does a fantastic job by the way, the stock cooler vas around (idle/load) at about (79/95) Celciusm while the passively cooled Accelero S1 Rev 2 performs @ (46/70) after extensive F@H ( P182 cabinet with 2x nexus exhaust fans and e8400)

Is this a common problem? If it is, what is the solution to it? None of the reviews I have read mentions any of this.

Does anyone know if the "turbo module" from Arctic Cooling do the trick(does it connect to the cards fan controller or directly to power?)

Thanx!

genernic

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Thanx for the response! Hopefully someone can tell me if the turbo module does the trick (connects directly to the card controller) as I would really like to avoid flashing the bios, with all the warnings out there :)

I'm looking forward to more replies!! :)