A most peculiar problem

G

So a few months ago my computer suddenly stopped booting: I'd hit the power button, all the fans would come on, but the machine would not post, or it would finally start to post after anywhere from a couple minutes to seven or eight. Now here's the weird part--if I reach into my case and touch the chipset radiator grill, it posts right away! (or very soon thereafter)

So I got to thinking it might be a grounding issue and tried hooking up a 'grounding wire' to the grill. No luck. It only works when reach in and touch the damn thing. Very bizarre. For the last two months now this has been my ritual when turning on my computer (embarrassing but necessary). Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? Anyone else experience this? I'd appreciate any help at all. Posting my comp. specs below.

motherboard: XFX nVidia 780i
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 ghz
OCZ DDR2-800 Reaper 2048mb x2
XFX GeForce 8800GT video
Vista Home Prem.

G

Heck that is a very strange problem indeed, ive googled the problem but nothing out there really, could only suggest that you test the system outside of the case with the minimum amount of components installed,could be motheboard shorting on case. have you tried swapping the power switch around on the pins?

also what happens when you press the reset switch after powering on?