Sign in with
Your question

USB Pen drive crashes system

Tags:
  • USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 26, 2010 5:32:42 PM

As soon as I plug my Pen Drive into the front Usb Ports, the sytem crashes, like the power had been switched off.
If I leave the Pen Drive in the Usb port and boot up, all is well.
I can pull the Pen Drive out without a problem but whenevewr I insert it, the system reboots.
All the rear USB ports work fine.

More about : usb pen drive crashes system

September 27, 2010 2:16:14 AM

seems like there is some kind of short-circuit happening.
September 27, 2010 3:35:24 AM

Pict said:
As soon as I plug my Pen Drive into the front Usb Ports, the sytem crashes, like the power had been switched off.
If I leave the Pen Drive in the Usb port and boot up, all is well.
I can pull the Pen Drive out without a problem but whenevewr I insert it, the system reboots.
All the rear USB ports work fine.

Hi, maybe I can give you some advice.
1. The PC has to support booting from a USB flash/pen/key drive. There may be anywhere from 1-3 items to change in the BIOS to make this possible assuming your BIOS supports it. Some bios's may refer to your flash drive as a USB floppy or USB zip. Of course there are exceptions, perhaps some are covered here.
2. The USB Pen drive must support booting from it in general.
3. The Pen drive must contain the boot/system files.
4. The Pen drive must have bootsector area. This is done with special utilities.
5. References to "A:" drive lines in the autoexec.bat and/or config.sys files you copy to the drive after you make it bootable may result in errors.
6. You "may" have to format your floppy disk first in WinXP before you create a bootdisk as XP may "not" like working later on with a disk formatted otherwise.
7. Included below is a bootable ISO of DOS 7.1 which may be used with some of these methods if you do not have a 1.44 drive.
September 27, 2010 4:09:01 AM

lihuahellen said:
Hi, maybe I can give you some advice.
1. The PC has to support booting from a USB flash/pen/key drive. There may be anywhere from 1-3 items to change in the BIOS to make this possible assuming your BIOS supports it. Some bios's may refer to your flash drive as a USB floppy or USB zip. Of course there are exceptions, perhaps some are covered here.
2. The USB Pen drive must support booting from it in general.
3. The Pen drive must contain the boot/system files.
4. The Pen drive must have bootsector area. This is done with special utilities.
5. References to "A:" drive lines in the autoexec.bat and/or config.sys files you copy to the drive after you make it bootable may result in errors.
6. You "may" have to format your floppy disk first in WinXP before you create a bootdisk as XP may "not" like working later on with a disk formatted otherwise.
7. Included below is a bootable ISO of DOS 7.1 which may be used with some of these methods if you do not have a 1.44 drive.

I am not meaning to boot to the drive.
What I was meaning is that IF the drive is in the usb slot at boot time, I have no problem.
It is when Windows is running and I insert the drive the system shuts down immediately.
September 27, 2010 4:18:52 AM

KingArcher said:
seems like there is some kind of short-circuit happening.

The system is ok if the Pen is inserted before windows boots.
Does that not rule out a short ??
September 27, 2010 4:50:51 AM

It could be an earthing problem. Earthing problems can cause a surge which trips the power supply unit.
[when you insert a usb device, the outer metal of the usb socket may be making a contact with the chassis ]
It's a possibility.
September 27, 2010 5:34:56 AM

KingArcher said:
It could be an earthing problem. Earthing problems can cause a surge which trips the power supply unit.
[when you insert a usb device, the outer metal of the usb socket may be making a contact with the chassis ]
It's a possibility.

I was thinking along those lines myself.
It is a brand new case, so I may swap everthing with my other system and see if that proves anything.
Then, if so, I will take it back.
September 27, 2010 5:57:40 AM

try the usb ports directly attached to the motherboard. try another usb drive.
September 27, 2010 6:12:59 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
try the usb ports directly attached to the motherboard. try another usb drive.

Done all that.
It ony applies when a USB device is inserted into the front port.
September 28, 2010 1:39:57 PM

Solved
I went into the Bios and DISABLED "wake up to S3"
I can now enter the pendrive in the front ports without the PC shutting down now. :wahoo: 
!