Sign in with
Your question

External HDD shows as "corrupted" on startup.

Last response: in Storage
September 26, 2010 6:52:05 PM

Whenever I turn on my computer, my Maxtor One Touch4 shows as "corrupted" in My Computer and cannot be accessed. After I unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in, it is detected as a working HDD again by my new computer. I am running Windows 7 64-bit. When I ran the Maxtor diagnostic, it doesn't detect any problems even when the HDD is detected as "corrupted". Also, I noticed something weird. When I ran the Maxtor diagnostic, my HDD name was in asian characters and not "One Touch4 (E:) ." So, I don't know what's going on. If anyone can help, I would be truly grateful. Thanks.

Edit: Sometimes it just says it is not a recognized file system. Either way, the computer asks that I reformat the HDD.

Pics here to show what I'm talking about:

and the Chinese characters phenomenon here:

a b G Storage
September 26, 2010 9:37:04 PM

I think your problem is with the Maxtor software, I have just gone through the Maxtor documentation and found it's only compatible with XP & Vista 32 bit only.
Try using it without the Maxtor software.
m
l
September 27, 2010 1:34:20 AM

I tried that before and it was a disaster. I lost like 100 gigs of stuff (luckily it wasn't that important).

Edit: So, somehow I got the HDD to work but everytime I shutdown my computer, and then turn it back on, the HDD isn't recognized until I unplug it and then plug it back in. @_@
m
l
October 6, 2010 2:50:22 AM

YEA! Fixed the problem! Okay, so I found out that my external HDD is recognized on start up whenever I turn on my computer AFTER I shut down my computer AND switch off the PSU. @_@ I don't understand why this happens. Whenver I restart/shut down and then turn the computer back on w/o turning off the PSU, the HDD is not recognized. So yea, (b^_^)b

Edit: It's too bad you can't select your own reply as the best answer.
m
l
!