Can't install 8500gt? wth

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Ok, now I feel dumb... Never in my life have I not been able to install a graphics card.

Anyway, the issue I am having is with an xfx 8500gt. The drivers just won't install on this company computer. They have a dell... its running a e4600 2.4ghz quad core with 3gb of ram. Its a 32-bit vista system.

I wrote down the information from BIOS that I could find...

BIOS Info - 1.0.13
Service Tag - 52czng1

...and yeah, thats about all it gave me. I hate dells now that I build computers, thats another story though.

Moving on. Ok each time I install from cd, windows update, a direct download from manufacturer, I get about the same results.

1. Half way through installation it freezes, but after a good 10 - 15 minutes, miraculously it asks if I want to restart. Then upon restart
2. It tries to install the drivers again on the shutdown screen, warning me not to pull the power or hit the switch at which point it is pretty much frozen again. After 10-15 minutes.
3. It turns off. I reboot only learn that there is not a trace of NVidia drivers on the computer, no XFX, no NVidia. Its empty.
4. Rinse repeat with the three methods of installation I mentioned above. Same results.

Don't understand whats going on. If I goto windows update, and select update history, it says right there every update ever done, and all the NVidia updates it states that it "Failed".

Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Yes I was given rights, I have been doing PC work the past few weeks... Its all good, we replaced the PC, it was acting a bit strange anyway. I am sure I could fix it, but I would need to reboot it off of the network. Almost positive it has to do with security... or blasted vista.