Amd Phenom ii x3 720 unlocked overclock problem

AL1212

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hi, i got a amd phenom ii x3 720 which unlocks to a x4 b20 on a Biostar TA790GX 128M mobo at stock voltage and stock speed of 2.8ghz. I prime95 tested it for 9.5 hrs and there was no errors. I want to overclock this cpu to 3.0-3.2ghz so in order for me to do so i have to go into my T-series setting in bios and i had to enable manual overclock and enable custom P-state in the cpuVID/FID section to allow me to change the multiplier. After i enabled that and rebooted my computer my computer boots up but my screen is blank it doesnt even go into window just stays blank. I had to turn off my comp by holding the power button, i did this like 5 times and still nothing. I cleared my cmos and did it all over, i even gave the cpu some more voltage and it still doesnt doesnt boot up as a x4 b20 if the custom p-state is enabled. I reverted back to a triple core and i enabled the custom p-state and window boots up and everything, i resetting my computer gave the cpu a tiny voltage and overclocked it to 3.3ghz as a triple core and prime95 tested it for 2hr and it had no error. So the problem is IDK why my computer wont let me overclock the cpu as a x4 b20 even when i added voltage and what not, im thinking it might be my bios that is the problem but i dont know, any input would help. Thanks and sorry for the long reading lol

also this chip seems to run super cool as a triple or unlocked as a x4 at stock speed and voltage, my cpu gets a reading of 15-16c with the stock aluminum heatsink with some as5 paste as a triple core and it runs 16-17c as a x4 b20. Is this normal or something?

AL1212

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
well i was able to enabled the 4th core by ACC set to auto and i stressed tested it for 9.5hrs in prime95 at stock volt and it had no errors. Im pretty sure the 4th core isnt bad i think its the bios that is whacky. I used amd overdrive and was able to overclock this cpu to 3.4ghz from 2.8ghz stock at about 1.39vcore, prime95 test it for 2hrs and no error. Its when i try to enable manual overclocking control in bios, the computer shows no display even after countless number of reboots.

AL1212

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
umm whats the point of buying a black edition chip if your not going to even over clock it? Im not trying to push it so much the only reason i did was to test it to make sure 4th core was stable and not bad as u said its probally BAD in the 2nd post. i just want to know why i cant enable manual overclock in bios and leave the speed at stock, when i do the computer boots up and shows no display. anyways thanks for your input hope others will chime in.

It was labeled an X3 BE because at least 3 of the cores can easily run at a higher speed. If all cores worked just fine then AMD might have sold it as an X4 BE. Anyway disable AMD-V as well as Cool & Quiet. You will probably be able to overclock it with the 4th core then. If you're running any XP mode or Virtual Box your VMs will run slower without AMD-V. You also won't be able to use 64-bit VMs, but if you don't care about that then no worries :D.

AL1212

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

yes but that doesnt answer my question. i am running a biostar mobo TA790GX 128m, if you want to MANUALLY over clock the CPU by raising the unlocked multi via BIOS, i have something called T-series setting in my bios which i have to enable something called custom p-state which once enabled it allows me to see and change the unlocked muli, volts, and a whole bunch of other crap. I enabled it and rebooted my computer, it boots up but the monitor is just blank, tried rebooting it like 15 times nothing. I cleared my CMOS and went back to a x3 and enabled the custom p-state which controls my multi, volts, etc... and my computer boots up fine(window loads and everything/no blank screen). It only boots up and show no display(blank screen) when im running the x3 as a stock speed unlocked phenom x4 and enable the custom p-state.

turbo dave

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

man everyone responding is retarded.

Alot of X4's that were PERFECTLY FINE were sold by AMD as x3 so they could basically sell an x4 cheaper while keeping the idiots that responded buying x4's for 60$ more on the side. pretty much towards the end of the 2010 they just hustled off their overflow of x4's as x3's along with their normal quanity of x3's that had any error that made it not good enough to run all 4 cores overclocked.

Anyways, I would try updating your bios if your still running this cpu, and i've wondered which is better... x3 @ 3300 or x4 @ 2800? im guessing x4 at stock speed. oh try an keep your northbridge down and HT link down as well like 1800 when OC x4