Sign in with
Your question

Which SATA port to which drive?

Last response: in Storage
September 27, 2010 2:39:31 AM

Hello,
Installing ASUS P6X58D Premium MOBO in a new build... Startup message "Hard drive not detected", but we know it is there. Should the "C" drive be connected to any particular port on the MOBO? Running Win 7 Pro.

Thanks,

John

More about : sata port drive

a b G Storage
September 27, 2010 3:01:22 AM

If it says so in the motherboard manual, yes, but it doesn't matter otherwise. I remember reading in the manual for my current motherboard that it might be better to connect the boot drive to a certain port or two, but I've never paid attention to that and I've never had a problem.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
September 27, 2010 5:32:20 AM

Generally speaking I wouldn't expect it to make a difference. But some motherboards have two SATA controllers with two sets of SATA ports, often distinguished by different colours of sockets on the motherboard. The second SATA controller may be configurable for SAS drives and require different drivers. If your motherboard has SATA sockets of different colours and the drive isn't being recognized on one set, try plugging it into one of the sockets of the other colour to see if that helps.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 27, 2010 11:39:11 AM

Or if you're still worried you could just try all of them - most motherboards only have six, and that wouldn't take too long :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
September 27, 2010 5:03:20 PM

If your board has 6 SATA ports numbered 0 through 5 and you plug what will be Drive C: into SATA Port 0, your BIOS will automatically find the hard drive that you are booting from. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter too much.
m
l
October 4, 2010 12:40:09 AM

Hey guys, I appreciate the interest and answers. I think I have it straight now. Just wanted to be sure and avoid problems later.

John
m
l
a b G Storage
October 7, 2010 8:46:25 PM

No problem. And nice avatar :) 
m
l
!