Sign in with
Your question

Switched motherboards in my system, hdd won't load?

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2009 11:55:19 PM

I have vista installed on my hdd and just recently switched my broken Gigabyte P35 to a Gigabyte G31 (different chipsets?). Anyways, the bios loads and the dvd rom & hdd are recognized from what I see. I've set first boot device to hdd, second boot device to dvd room...etc. Well, my pc seems to skip loading from my hdd and tries to boot from the dvd room. I get the error "CD/DVD Boot: Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter" like it's expecting there to be an os cd in the drive to boot from.

I was kind of hoping it would detect my copy of vista and "fix" itself from there. My actual vista 64 cd is an oem version I forgot to pack with me, so I'm not sure how I'm going to get around this.

Any help?

Edit: System Specs
Q6600
8800gts 512
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
seagate barracuda
gskill 4gb ram
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2009 12:14:21 AM

It's not going to load that HD. You will need to boot off of a OS disc. This is very common when switching mobos. It's about a 50/50 chance if it will recognize it or not.
March 10, 2009 3:25:05 AM

aford10 said:
It's not going to load that HD. You will need to boot off of a OS disc. This is very common when switching mobos. It's about a 50/50 chance if it will recognize it or not.

Ah, I figured. I guess I'll try and get ahold of an xp cd or something. Thanks.
Related resources
March 10, 2009 3:43:12 AM

Also check the hard drive boot order in the BIOS.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2009 3:45:26 AM

The OP said it was booting off the HD. Which if it doesn't recognize the HD, boot will fail.
March 10, 2009 4:57:26 AM

aford10 said:
The OP said it was booting off the HD. Which if it doesn't recognize the HD, boot will fail.

The OP said it skips booting off the HD, and gives a CD/DVD boot error.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2009 5:04:28 AM

I'd expect the OS would boot from a hard drive swapped like that from one intel chipset to another .

The OP needs to check that hard drive is the first boot device , and then DISCONNECT the cd/dvd drive power lead .

Then if it boots ok we can suggest things like having the master /slave jumpers sorted on his IDE drives would be clever .

March 10, 2009 5:12:17 AM

Outlander_04 said:
I'd expect the OS would boot from a hard drive swapped like that from one intel chipset to another .

The OP needs to check that hard drive is the first boot device , and then DISCONNECT the cd/dvd drive power lead .

Then if it boots ok we can suggest things like having the master /slave jumpers sorted on his IDE drives would be clever .

Yeah what I was thinking is that perhaps it isn't actually trying to boot from the HD even if it does get detected in the BIOS. Your suggestion about disconnecting the cd/dvd is very good.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2009 5:41:52 AM

If it doesn't recognize the HD as a proper boot device, then that is the exact message it will display. However, if you want reassurance, unplug the optical drives or disable them in the bios. Then boot and see if you get the same message.
March 10, 2009 6:05:49 AM

It should still attempt to boot and then hang if the mobo drivers are too different, not skip the drive altogether.

A little side note, my P35-DQ6 took a dump so I installed a P45-UD3R. I had W7 on an old PATA drive and it booted up and then reloaded all the drivers for the new chipset. It took about 5 minutes and 1-2 reboots and it was all fresh for the new mobo.

I thought that was pretty convenient.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2009 6:14:58 AM

As I mentioned, the easiest way to tell, is to unplug the opticals and disable the bios from booting from other devices.
March 10, 2009 5:11:24 PM

I just swapped out a BIOSTAR MoBo that died with a new Gigabyte MoBo and EVERYTHING loaded as if i didnt even swap the motherboards... next suggestion is to just burn an image of Vista and use it to "repair the OS"
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2009 7:20:36 PM

Yep, it's a 50/50 shot. Sometimes it will boot right up after the swap, sometimes it wont. If you are going to build pc's, it's always a good idea to have your own OS disc for this very reason.

+1 to zipzoomflyhigh
Even though sometimes it does boot right up, it's best to do a fresh install. You can back up your important data, and then clean house to get rid of the cobwebs.
!