Sign in with
Your question

In need of upgrade advise

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2009 8:55:49 PM

Hello, I need some advise. I'm planning to upgrade my CPU and mobo but I'm having a hard time deciding how to go about it. Since I'm on a tight budget, I an only afford an AMD based PC as Intel parts are a bit expensive where I am (Philippines). I mainly use the PC for gaming at 1280x1024 res. I currently have the following parts that I plan to use on the PC:

Seagate 320GB SATA HDD
Palit 9800 GT 512MB Vcard
Samsung DVD-RW Drive
and 2 brand new un-used sticks of 1GB dual channel ddr2 800 Kingston DIMMs

The question: should I go short term upgrade and get an AMD AM2+ mobo and just upgrade in a year or year and a halfs time or go all the way and get an AM3 mobo (which would mean not using the DDR2 mem) and get DDR3 RAM as well?

I'm planning to get a Phenom II X4 905e CPU.

What do you think?

More about : upgrade advise

August 21, 2009 9:02:19 PM

Since you are running 1280x1024 and want to get the quad Phenom2, i don't think you are likely to run into any CPU bottlenecks and because of that i don't think you would see much benefit at all from upgrading to ddr3.

However, if you multitask A LOT or use the machine for something other than gaming, you may want to consider it.

For just games though.. i don't see the need to spend an extra bit of cash.
m
l
August 22, 2009 3:27:36 PM

Thanks for the advise. By the way the PC will also be used for typical office apps, nothing to heavy like 3d rendering or autocad.
m
l
!