In need of upgrade advise

Hello, I need some advise. I'm planning to upgrade my CPU and mobo but I'm having a hard time deciding how to go about it. Since I'm on a tight budget, I an only afford an AMD based PC as Intel parts are a bit expensive where I am (Philippines). I mainly use the PC for gaming at 1280x1024 res. I currently have the following parts that I plan to use on the PC:

Seagate 320GB SATA HDD
Palit 9800 GT 512MB Vcard
Samsung DVD-RW Drive
and 2 brand new un-used sticks of 1GB dual channel ddr2 800 Kingston DIMMs

The question: should I go short term upgrade and get an AMD AM2+ mobo and just upgrade in a year or year and a halfs time or go all the way and get an AM3 mobo (which would mean not using the DDR2 mem) and get DDR3 RAM as well?

I'm planning to get a Phenom II X4 905e CPU.

What do you think?
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrade advise
  1. Since you are running 1280x1024 and want to get the quad Phenom2, i don't think you are likely to run into any CPU bottlenecks and because of that i don't think you would see much benefit at all from upgrading to ddr3.

However, if you multitask A LOT or use the machine for something other than gaming, you may want to consider it.

For just games though.. i don't see the need to spend an extra bit of cash.
  2. Thanks for the advise. By the way the PC will also be used for typical office apps, nothing to heavy like 3d rendering or autocad.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards