Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cooler Master V6 GT vs Corsair H50 vs Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX vs Thermalright Ven X

Last response: in Overclocking
October 19, 2010 6:14:30 AM

Hello,
My intel stock cooler has started giving me problems now, temperature quickly rises upto 80C when I play any game. I have a Q6600 processor at stock speeds. Never tried using Prime95 as God only knows what will happen. BTW, when I play games like ME2, CPU load is only about 40-50% but temps are near 80C so I'm afraid to try Prime95.

So, I'm in search of a good CPU cooler and I'm stuck between the CM V6 GT, Zalman CNPS9900 MAX, Thermalright Ven-X and the Corsair H50. Whcih will be the best for me ?

Also, my case is small, and my PSU is at the top rather than at the bottom, so there is very little place to place the heatsink.
October 19, 2010 8:14:06 AM

If space is a concern that pretty much limits you to the V6 or the H50. The H50 is more expensive but performs better than the V6.

I think of the 4 listed the Zalman probably has the best cooling, but the size is pretty restrictive.

So for you, I think it comes down to how much you are willing to spend. $80 for the H50 or closer to $40 for the V6.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 10:27:40 AM

gamerboy249 said:
Hello,
My intel stock cooler has started giving me problems now, temperature quickly rises upto 80C when I play any game. I have a Q6600 processor at stock speeds. Never tried using Prime95 as God only knows what will happen. BTW, when I play games like ME2, CPU load is only about 40-50% but temps are near 80C so I'm afraid to try Prime95.

So, I'm in search of a good CPU cooler and I'm stuck between the CM V6 GT, Zalman CNPS9900 MAX, Thermalright Ven-X and the Corsair H50. Whcih will be the best for me ?

Also, my case is small, and my PSU is at the top rather than at the bottom, so there is very little place to place the heatsink.

Better get a hyper 212 plus or a corsair a70/50.They are more compact than the v6 and cheaper than the h50.
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 2:28:09 PM

gamerboy249 said:
Hello,

What has changed?
You might first check for dust build up and clean it out.
Next, you could get some good thermal paste such as MX2 or AS5 and reseat your cooler. There is no reason why your cooling should have worsened.

Any oem cooler will be better than the stock cooler under load. I like the large tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan such as the hyper 212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When you reseat your cooler or install a new one, plan on removing the motherboard from the case. You need to be able tosee the back of the motherboard to insure that all of the pushpins are fully through and locked. The secret to pushpin installation is to push down on diagonal pairs at the same time.
m
l
October 19, 2010 3:06:39 PM

He changed chips?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 5:45:51 PM

I'm going to have to heavily favor geofelt on this one. Likely there is substantial dust build up and/or your cooler needs to be pulled, cleaned and have new TIM applied. However, any decent to good air cooler will perform better than the stock Intel one.

Here are few comparison lists:

First one is low profile, in case you have issues with clearance:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

Second is the overall performance list:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Regardless, you should consider new thermal paste either way,
m
l
October 20, 2010 5:11:02 AM

geofelt said:
What has changed?
You might first check for dust build up and clean it out.
Next, you could get some good thermal paste such as MX2 or AS5 and reseat your cooler. There is no reason why your cooling should have worsened.

Any oem cooler will be better than the stock cooler under load. I like the large tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan such as the hyper 212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

When you reseat your cooler or install a new one, plan on removing the motherboard from the case. You need to be able tosee the back of the motherboard to insure that all of the pushpins are fully through and locked. The secret to pushpin installation is to push down on diagonal pairs at the same time.

It is obvious that the higher temps are due to dust build up. I live in India, temps are high, plus there is a lot of dust in here, plus I don't have any dust filters for my fans. Everyday I have to clean my case (externally), speakers, LCD screen because there is only dust around here. So instead of cleaning the stock cooler again and again, I intend to buy a new CPU cooler. Money is not an issue, maximum 100$ is my budget.
m
l
October 20, 2010 5:15:03 AM

Also, the PSU blows hot air on the cpu cooler and that's also a reason why it gets hot.
m
l
October 20, 2010 5:31:51 AM

cmcghee358 said:
If space is a concern that pretty much limits you to the V6 or the H50. The H50 is more expensive but performs better than the V6.

I think of the 4 listed the Zalman probably has the best cooling, but the size is pretty restrictive.

So for you, I think it comes down to how much you are willing to spend. $80 for the H50 or closer to $40 for the V6.

The Corsair H50 is like $93 in here and the V6 is about 111$ and the V6 GT is about $120, so the H50 is the cheapest amongst here.
My budget is $120.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 20, 2010 5:34:55 AM

gamerboy249 said:
The Corsair H50 is like $93 in here and the V6 is about 111$ and the V6 GT is about $120, so the H50 is the cheapest amongst here.
My budget is $120.

where do you live those prices are friggin insane !
m
l
October 20, 2010 5:43:10 AM

spentshells said:
where do you live those prices are friggin insane !

I live in India, so that pretty much explains it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 121 K Overclocking
October 20, 2010 2:57:42 PM

gamerboy249 said:
It is obvious that the higher temps are due to dust build up. I live in India, temps are high, plus there is a lot of dust in here, plus I don't have any dust filters for my fans. Everyday I have to clean my case (externally), speakers, LCD screen because there is only dust around here. So instead of cleaning the stock cooler again and again, I intend to buy a new CPU cooler. Money is not an issue, maximum 100$ is my budget.

You will still need to clean any oem cooler, even a liquid cooling system needs it's radiator cleaned.

You might be well advised to add some filters to your intake fans.

Or, replace your case with one that has better cooling and filtered intake fans. I would suggest the Antec 200 or 300 which have washable front intake fan filters.

If your psu is directing air into your case, it is wrong. A psu fan should draw air from inside the case and exhaust it.

To keep things clean, you want a positive pressure airflow. That is one which draws air in from the front filtered fans and lets the exhaust go where it may out of the case.

What case do you now have?
October 21, 2010 5:22:37 AM

Pretty much local, it's a Zebronics Peace, 1x80mm front intake, 1x80mm side intake, 1x120mm back exhaust, 1x80mm top exhaust, so yea, a pretty sucky-sucky case. It now seems that the H50 would be the only cooler that would fit in my case, so I'm going for it. Also, when I built this rig in 2008, temps weren't that bad, it was 85C full load on Prime 95, but now only 40-50% load and it's 80C , so I'm looking for a better cooling solution that will also help me in my next build. I also also buy a case, maybe the Antec 902, but not now, later. I will also clean it when I buy it, but enough of this sucky intel cooler.

Now that I've made my decision, I'm still confused about the fans. I'm confused between 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm or 2x Scythe Slipstream 1850rpm. The GT pushes out about ~70cfm but it's quiet and has great static pressure whereas the Slipstream pushes out a tremedous 110cfm but not so great static pressure. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
October 21, 2010 5:35:27 AM

The lesss static pressure the better.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2010 11:58:38 AM

gamerboy249 said:
I live in India, so that pretty much explains it.

I suggest you look at the below links........... damn good prices for india.......

Thermalright True Spirit Rs. 2250 + SHIPPING - http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Thermalright+True+Spi...

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Rs. 1935 + shipping - http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Cooler+Master+Hyper+2...(RR-B10-212-GP)_C10P6365.html

My suggestion

Thermalright Venomous X Rs. 3920 + shipping - http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Thermalright+Venomous...

m
l
October 24, 2010 5:38:32 AM

I wanted a BLACK Ven-X, is that available in India ? Thanks man :D 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2010 8:29:18 AM

I dunno about black....... but they do have the normal one......... give em a call and find out.......... and vote for the best answer............
m
l
October 25, 2010 5:55:21 AM

Best answer selected by gamerboy249.
m
l
!