Testing the PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

elijahgamer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Is it safe to connect the green cord that the motherboard uses to communicate to the psu with and one of the ground black cords with a paper clip? I've seen it done in videos but I was just wondering if it can cause the psu any damage or if there is anything I have to be careful about... My motherboard hasn't turned on once since I have built my new computer and I was wondering if I could rule out the psu as a problem...

Solution
Yeah, it should be safe. Just make sure the PSU is disconnected from the MB and other sensitive components like GPU's.

And make sure when not to short anything when connecting the green wire to a black one on that main power connector. Green to black - not red to yellow (mistakes can happen :) )

Most importantly do not go further and open the PSU, unless you know what you are doing, and even then its an unneccessary risk. Those caps can kill you if you dont know how to discharge them, and accidently touch them the wrong way

floatpoint

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Yeah, it should be safe. Just make sure the PSU is disconnected from the MB and other sensitive components like GPU's.

And make sure when not to short anything when connecting the green wire to a black one on that main power connector. Green to black - not red to yellow (mistakes can happen :) )

Most importantly do not go further and open the PSU, unless you know what you are doing, and even then its an unneccessary risk. Those caps can kill you if you dont know how to discharge them, and accidently touch them the wrong way

Solution

Hi :)

If you dont know thw answer to that, then you dont know enough about electrical systems to do it safely....

The easier and safer way for you is to swap the PSU for a working one...

All the best Brett :)

elijahgamer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
All done, the PSU works fine, however I haven't tested the voltage so this may be my problem I have given it into the tech place and the best they can do is say it is a faulty motherboard or cpu but the cpu and motherboard didn't look like they came damaged or anything, hopefully this is not the case as I have also recently bought a laptop and had the fan broke and have to return it under warranty, I wish computers were simpler :p Anyways love building them and having this massive amount of regular computer builders behind me, feels great hopefully I become a regular and can fix this problem easily for anyone else :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS