2-3sec powering on and off non stop, new build

tallkooljp

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I just finished a new build and trying to boot for the first time. Its doing something strange. I turn it on and it begins to start for about 2-3 secs, then it turns off and repeats this non stop. Never posting or booting. Power lights come on for those 3 secs then off again. No beeps or nothing, just this same cycle on and off. Had six sticks of memory in it and went down to 1 and same thing. Had two video cards in it, and went down to one and same thing. Any ideas?

Intel 975 cpu i7
gigabyte Ex-58 extreme
BFG 295 video card

bilbat

Splendid
The most common cause of this symptom is an incorrectly/incompletely seated heatsink/fan combo; flip your board, and carefully examine the locking pins - make sure they are all fully seated, and that you don't have a cracked one. The easiest way to install an HSF is to work your way 'aroung the CPU', but the best way to seat the unit properly is to do diagonally opposite pins first, and then finish up with the second pair. The etiology is: system powers up, CPU starts 'shedding' heat, but can't, due to incomplete heat transfer to the HSF - modern CPUs are such 'cookers' that it only takes a couple seconds for PROCHOT to 'pop', and send the CPU into thermal shutdown...

johnyfalco

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

tallkooljp did you ever get this problem solved. I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have checked my heatsink and that looks all good. :(