Your question

Deciding on a GPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 8:50:30 PM

I need help picking a card. I am now learning how to build my own computer and have spent MANY hours online reading and learning. The game the card will be used for is WOW. I cant afford more than 150 on a GPU and I dont really want to spend more than 100. As long as the card plays wow on 1380x760 on my 22 inch HDMI vizio tv then I am fine. I understand that there are alot of things to look at when picking a card, like Bits, Core clock, Stream processing and others. I dont care if its Nvidia or Ati, I just need a good one for WOW at a decent price.Can someone please explain to me also what most of the specs mean on a GPU. Would this card suffice for wow? Its GDDR5 and its 1 gb of dedicated memory. Its got HDMI. it does have 128 bit however. would this be good though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : deciding gpu

a c 125 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 19, 2010 9:29:49 PM

Well, ATI will release their 6xxx series soon. Can't say what the prices will be but it should put some stress on the market. Currently a 5770 would be a great powerful card for your needs. You could even do a 5750 or 5670 I would think, at that resolution. If you like green you could go with NV maybe a GTS 250. With the 250 you don't get DX11 tho (the 5xxx ATI series has it).

If you can wait a couple of weeks tho, like I said, the 6xxx series will be out.

As for specs, well it's apples to oranges if we're talking core, shader, and memory clocks. There's a lot of other factors like ROPS, shader and texture units, and that kind of stuff that all play a part in it. VRAM is more universal. You only need about 512mb I'd say, which isn't hard to find. GDDR5>GDDR3>DDR3>DDR2. The best way to tell what's best tho, is to find some reviews which will give great FPS comparisons between similar cards.

You should also check out the montly Best GPU For The Money articles here on Toms.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 2:01:14 AM

I actually don't recommend the 5850... I loved it, loved it for its OCing potential and Single card performance. But right now. At the price, Nvidia really can't beat the 6850. It's out on Newegg right now! Only 180$ for a single card... HECKA CHEAP compared to GTX 460. I mean expect a counter. But look at this benchmark of its CF performance. Now imagine the OC'd CF performance!

http://inacurate.com/SAPFTP/crossfire.png

m
l
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 2:45:37 PM

I've read that, while definitely better, the 6870 is the 5770 replacement, and it'll be the 69xx series that replaces the 58xx series. That said, the 6870 does appear to be as good as at least a 5850/470 so for the cheaper price, that's a great option! Plus, better tesslation (or so they say).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 10:27:58 PM

^ It is, they tested it on the Unigen Heaven normal tess. And the 6870 performs on par with the 5870 on tess.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2010 3:59:56 AM

The guy has a $150 budget, preferably $100! It doesn't matter how nice the HD6850 is, it busts the budget.
At the stated resolution, a HD5670 should do quite well in WoW, but it may not be the best value. A HD4850 would probably be the best choice. Some of these are under $100 without playing rebate games: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... and ALL of them are under $100 if you play the rebate game and win.
Make sure you get a quality PSU. A Chokemax will burn trying to power that card during games, but an Antec or Seasonic will do just fine. A 430W-500W PSU would be sufficient, like an Earthwatts.
m
l
October 25, 2010 3:22:08 PM

Quote:
I need help picking a card. I am now learning how to build my own computer and have spent MANY hours online reading and learning. The game the card will be used for is WOW. I cant afford more than 150 on a GPU and I dont really want to spend more than 100. As long as the card plays wow on 1380x760 on my 22 inch HDMI vizio tv then I am fine. I understand that there are alot of things to look at when picking a card, like Bits, Core clock, Stream processing and others. I dont care if its Nvidia or Ati, I just need a good one for WOW at a decent price.Can someone please explain to me also what most of the specs mean on a GPU. Would this card suffice for wow? Its GDDR5 and its 1 gb of dedicated memory. Its got HDMI. it does have 128 bit however. would this be good though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

wait for the 6000 series to put out their new line of cards.Supports full 3-d and is low on power consumption.
m
l
!