Dish Network vs. DirecTV

I see that there is a lot of discussion around Dish vs Directv. But,
I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for because a lot of the
discussions are either about sports or about bad signals/pixels. The
bottom line is that I love movies and some shows and don't care at all
about sports. I don't want to spend any more than $50 a month. Which
is better for me: Dish Network or DirecTV? Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about dish network directv
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    The Wise and Powerful Lisa sent the following:
    > I see that there is a lot of discussion around Dish vs Directv. But,
    > I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for because a lot of the
    > discussions are either about sports or about bad signals/pixels. The
    > bottom line is that I love movies and some shows and don't care at all
    > about sports. I don't want to spend any more than $50 a month. Which
    > is better for me: Dish Network or DirecTV? Thanks in advance.

    Well... DTV (I work for a Dealer) has plenty of movies... so does DishNet.
    Both have ~$40 packages that include your local programming... both have
    movie packages ~$12 each (HBO has 7 channels, Showtime has 9, Stars has 12,
    Cinimax has 3). Depending on how many rooms you are installing will also
    change your monthly (both companies charge $4.99 for additional
    receivers/mo)

    1 room system (Total Choice with locals $39.00, with HBO $12, total 51.99)
    2 room system (same........................................., same, 2nd
    receiver $4.99, total 56.98)
    and so on...

    --
    RegNitto1-10 *USWest SC Ladder
    RegNitto *USWest SC

    ---
  2. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    RegNitto <regnittoSTOP@spamhotmail.com> wrote:
    > 1 room system (Total Choice with locals $39.00, with HBO $12, total 51.99)
    > 2 room system (same........................................., same, 2nd
    > receiver $4.99, total 56.98)
    > and so on...

    Looking at
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/packages/index.shtml

    "Top 60", $25/mo
    "Top 120", $35/mo
    "Top 120" +HBO +Cinemax, $52/mo

    Local channels add another five bucks a month to that, which is either
    handy for grabbing broadcast network stuff to the PVR, or a total ripoff
    considering that a decent VHF/UHF antenna can be had for twenty-five
    bucks, depending on how you look at it. If you're never home and still
    want to rip network TV to disk, or you're far enough out in the
    sticks that you'd need a monster antenna to pull in free TV, you might
    consider it. I figured that I had to climb up on the damn roof to put
    the dish up anyways, so while I'm up there I might as well throw up an
    antenna and save myself the five bucks a month.

    There's other differences: DTV partners with Tivo, while DishNetwork
    PVRs are less Tivo-like. Based on that distinction alone, I'd be more
    likely to go with DTV irrespective of the price difference- ...had I
    not gotten a free Dish PVR from a friend.

    --
    Huey
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Lisa wrote:

    > I see that there is a lot of discussion around Dish vs Directv. But,
    > I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for because a lot of the
    > discussions are either about sports or about bad signals/pixels. The
    > bottom line is that I love movies and some shows and don't care at all
    > about sports. I don't want to spend any more than $50 a month. Which
    > is better for me: Dish Network or DirecTV? Thanks in advance.

    Egads!

    The one that is best for you, is the system that best suits your
    personal needs.
    Cable is BEST, if wish to have (digital) access to it in all rooms
    AND high speed computer speed at the same time!

    If cable is not available, and TV is most important, then all you
    have to do is figure out WHICH programs that YOU desire to watch,
    and then look at what company offers the best programing that suits
    your needs for the best price.
    DISHNET.com or DTV.COM VS CABLE!

    Obviously, the more you want, the more you have to pay.

    And of course, their rates WILL change when THEY feel like changing
    them.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    On 18 Oct 2004 14:30:57 -0700, lis0122@msn.com (Lisa) wrote:

    >I see that there is a lot of discussion around Dish vs Directv. But,
    >I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for because a lot of the
    >discussions are either about sports or about bad signals/pixels. The
    >bottom line is that I love movies and some shows and don't care at all
    >about sports. I don't want to spend any more than $50 a month. Which
    >is better for me: Dish Network or DirecTV? Thanks in advance.

    Look here: http://steve.dbstalk.com/dbs/packagecomparison.htm

    It's a side by side comparison showing all the channels each service
    has and the different packages with pricing. Additional Info (premium
    channel pricing, sports package links, etc.) are at the bottom of the
    page.
    -
    -Jon Purkey - <jonpurkey@aol.com)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Screw cabel.
    i have DirecTv and Adsl internet from the telco.
    I refuse to give ConCast anymore of my money.

    "AH# 49 writes:" <GRONK@BCComics.net> wrote in message
    > Lisa wrote:
    > >
    > > I see that there is a lot of discussion around Dish vs Directv. But,
    > > I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for because a lot of the
    > > discussions are either about sports or about bad signals/pixels. The
    > > bottom line is that I love movies and some shows and don't care at all
    > > about sports. I don't want to spend any more than $50 a month. Which
    > > is better for me: Dish Network or DirecTV? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Egads!
    >
    > The one that is best for you, is the system that best suits your
    > personal needs.
    > Cable is BEST, if wish to have (digital) access to it in all rooms
    > AND high speed computer speed at the same time!
    >
    > If cable is not available, and TV is most important, then all you
    > have to do is figure out WHICH programs that YOU desire to watch,
    > and then look at what company offers the best programing that suits
    > your needs for the best price.
    > DISHNET.com or DTV.COM VS CABLE!
    >
    > Obviously, the more you want, the more you have to pay.
    >
    > And of course, their rates WILL change when THEY feel like changing
    > them.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    CABLE...COMcast.
    Ignorance is bliss...so they say.

    "r.w.h" <cmroc2@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Screw cabel.
    > i have DirecTv and Adsl internet from the telco.
    > I refuse to give ConCast anymore of my money.
    >
    > "AH# 49 writes:" <GRONK@BCComics.net> wrote in message
    > > Lisa wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I see that there is a lot of discussion around Dish vs Directv. But,
    > > > I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for because a lot of the
    > > > discussions are either about sports or about bad signals/pixels. The
    > > > bottom line is that I love movies and some shows and don't care at all
    > > > about sports. I don't want to spend any more than $50 a month. Which
    > > > is better for me: Dish Network or DirecTV? Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Egads!
    > >
    > > The one that is best for you, is the system that best suits your
    > > personal needs.
    > > Cable is BEST, if wish to have (digital) access to it in all rooms
    > > AND high speed computer speed at the same time!
    > >
    > > If cable is not available, and TV is most important, then all you
    > > have to do is figure out WHICH programs that YOU desire to watch,
    > > and then look at what company offers the best programing that suits
    > > your needs for the best price.
    > > DISHNET.com or DTV.COM VS CABLE!
    > >
    > > Obviously, the more you want, the more you have to pay.
    > >
    > > And of course, their rates WILL change when THEY feel like changing
    > > them.

Satellite TV Home Theatre