Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Using old hard drives in new pcs

Last response: in Components
Share
June 10, 2009 4:24:39 PM

im going to build a new pc soon and i was wondering if i could use my old hard drive without reinstalling windows.its from a gateway and i dont have a copy of windows xp.i would appreciate any help because im not crazy about using vista.

More about : hard drives pcs

June 10, 2009 4:42:14 PM

chrhadden_94 said:
im going to build a new pc soon and i was wondering if i could use my old hard drive without reinstalling windows.its from a gateway and i dont have a copy of windows xp.i would appreciate any help because im not crazy about using vista.


I've had it go both ways..Sometimes yes...sometimes no...
June 10, 2009 5:23:00 PM

burrism said:
I've had it go both ways..Sometimes yes...sometimes no...

what were some of the problems?
Related resources
June 11, 2009 5:20:03 AM

As I remember, if it didn't boot, it was because the chipset and display drivers were not right.

What has always worked for me is that I have a second HDD in every one of my PCs and always have a copy of the OS and programs to clone to a new drive.
What you might consider is Googling for either Slipstream or Bart's PE and making a bootable copy of your existing OS that you burn to a CD/DVD. That way you can install a fresh HDD and install your OS in the new drive and hope it will boot, but at least you will have a copy of your OS..

I'm not sure how your existing OS is installed since many of the pre-installed companies have hidden partitions and such, but perhaps someone who has slipstreamed that kind of install can chime in..
June 11, 2009 6:10:43 AM

It should boot. However, be prepared to install tons of device drivers for the new motherboard.
June 11, 2009 6:37:27 AM

It may well boot, but i will almost certainly be unstable and slow in my experience....

I reckon there's almost no point whatsoever trying to 'upgrade' your computer in this way, if you're building a new PC splash out on a copy of windows XP or if you cant afford it download the windows 7 RC and use the time to save up for an OS.
June 11, 2009 8:38:18 AM

If the new PC is too different you may have terrible issues. Going from an intel 945 (I think) chipset to P35 for me involved a complete reinstall
June 11, 2009 12:56:49 PM

i would just reinstall everything, it's a lot less hassle in he long run
June 11, 2009 9:16:03 PM

will_chellam said:
It may well boot, but i will almost certainly be unstable and slow in my experience....

I reckon there's almost no point whatsoever trying to 'upgrade' your computer in this way, if you're building a new PC splash out on a copy of windows XP or if you cant afford it download the windows 7 RC and use the time to save up for an OS.

is windows 7 really all that?im not an early adopter type.i remember windows 2000 and me.vista looks like one of those to me.but i would jump all over the new "xp"
June 11, 2009 9:32:14 PM

chrhadden_94 said:
is windows 7 really all that?im not an early adopter type.i remember windows 2000 and me.vista looks like one of those to me.but i would jump all over the new "xp"

the new xp?

what does that even mean?!

I remember having to boot MS-DOS from floppy disk!
June 11, 2009 10:58:01 PM

mi1ez said:
the new xp?

what does that even mean?!

I remember having to boot MS-DOS from floppy disk!

xp has been good to me.i dont want to get into another windows me bind
June 12, 2009 12:50:34 AM

You can google for guides on how to do this. Basically, no one here can tell you what specific problems you may or may not run into.

If you can back up your entire HD, you have nothing to lose by trying. Follow a guide.

If you cannot back up your entire HD, you may have a LOT to lose depending on what's on it.

Win 7 is a viable alternative. The Vultures were pretty much ready to pounce on this "new" OS . . . but they didn't. Probably will be some criticism when it releases, but Vista was the "ME" problem, apparently not 7. You can DL the upgrade adviser here, and check compatibility:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advi...
June 12, 2009 9:28:28 PM

Twoboxer said:
You can google for guides on how to do this. Basically, no one here can tell you what specific problems you may or may not run into.

If you can back up your entire HD, you have nothing to lose by trying. Follow a guide.

If you cannot back up your entire HD, you may have a LOT to lose depending on what's on it.

Win 7 is a viable alternative. The Vultures were pretty much ready to pounce on this "new" OS . . . but they didn't. Probably will be some criticism when it releases, but Vista was the "ME" problem, apparently not 7. You can DL the upgrade adviser here, and check compatibility:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advi...

i knew some 1 would understand me about windows me \ vista .it wouldnt be very expensive to back my whole hard drive up,and thats probably really good advice thx for helping shape my game plan bro :) 
June 12, 2009 11:23:15 PM

mi1ez said:
I remember having to boot MS-DOS from floppy disk!


*Real* 360K 5.25" floppy. $125 for a second floppy to save on swapping.
!