SSD for New System

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Kismet that we get a new partner who specializes in SSDs. I've recently upgraded to a 6 core AMD with new mobo and 8 gigs of ram - but my old hard drive feels like it is severely limiting me . I've heard that by getting an SSD like a RunCore, I can pile Windows 7 64-bit on it and it will considerably speed things up. Question is, how big should the SSD I get be? Is there any benefit to having more than just your OS on it?

tecmo34

Administrator
@Shadow... This is a Sponsor (partner) section :D Look at the pretty banner at the top and sides :)

@Joe... I would get a minimum of a 60GB SSD. I would go with either the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB / Agility 2 60GB or the Intel X25-M G2 80GB. In truth though, I would wait for the release of the new Intel SSD's at this point before I would make a purchase.

tecmo34

Administrator
I'm currently running an Intel X25-M G2 80GB for my OS and Apps, along with a WD 300GB Velicoraptor for my games and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for storage. I saw a nice improvement going from a SSD form the VRaptor for the OS. If you are looking for a "system" responsiveness feel increase, you'll get the greatest impact with a SSD IMO. You won't see it in gaming much outside the initial load.

I would recommend either A) waiting for the new Intel SSD's to be released or B)
Get either of these three SSD's (the Crucial only if have SATA3 IMO)
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX100G 2.5" 100GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I too have a X25-M G2 80GB. Still running like a champ after all this time, and it does get pretty good use. And yeah, an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can make, use one and HDDs feel like snails.

I vote for the Vertex 2. Excellent SSD. I haven't played with one yet, but the benches/reviews are awesome, since Anand hasn't reported big any firmware,etc problems it's pretty safe to assume it's reliable.

@Shadow... This is a Sponsor (partner) section :D Look at the pretty banner at the top and sides :)
Which banners? :ange: AdblockPlus FTW!

jg900ss

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
FWIW, I purchased the Runcore IV PATA ZIF SSD, 128GB, to replace the Toshiba 4200RPM 100GB drive in my Fujitsu Lifebook P1620. Boot time went from 4:30 minutes to 27 seconds. I am pleased to learn it has the Indilinx in it, but so far I have had none of the dreaded slowdowns associated with SSDs running under XP (since XP has no TRIM support). I guess the controller is doing the leveling work. It was expensive. I bought it in early Jan 2010 just to play around and explore the performance difference, but I can say that it is quite a change from the original gear. Now, an interesting side note; I bought extra Toshiba drives for the same Netbook, 4200RPM, 100GB, and used one to install Ubuntu 10.10. Perfect install, no issues with drivers, everything worked fine, and the machine boots in LESS TIME on the 4200RPM drive with Ubuntu than WinXPSP3 on the RunCore IV. Gotta love Linux. http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/biggrin.gif