Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 Rebuild

Last response: in Storage
September 27, 2010 5:53:08 PM

Hello All-

This is my first post to these forums and I was hoping someone would be kind enough to provide some advice. I looked though a number of prior posts and didn't see this question answered. I'm currently in the process of upgrading from a Q6600/EVGA 680i to an i7 950/GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R based system. I currently have RAID 0 running on my machine. I was wondering if I could create a backup image of the current RAID 0 array and restore it to the new RAID 0 array. I'm running W7 64bit (I've already created the backup image of the array.)

First of all, would this work (I think it would, but not sure)? Secondly, if it is possible, would I run the risk of creating driver conflicts.

I would like to avoid having to reinstall all my apps if it's not really necessary. My experience with W7 makes me feel like it could handle this type of hardware change without issue.

Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated!
:) 

More about : raid rebuild

a c 127 G Storage
October 3, 2010 1:11:36 AM

Hey there!

Sorry you did not get a reply. I'm not sure if i can help you, as i'm not very familiar with Windows, but let me try:

I think many imaging/backup/cloning programs would not recognize your RAID array, particularly if those programs run outside of Windows; they would not be using the required RAID drivers which were written only for Windows.

If you boot into Ubuntu Linux livecd, you should have access to the 'software RAID' as well and can use raw disk images; reading all data byte-for-byte from the RAID array and writing that to another disk inside one big file. Later, you can restore the image by writing that big file to the RAID array back again.

But as you already guess, this is not convenient nor really easy. I hope you can find something better. Or just take the easy route and reinstall fresh; backing up any user files currently on the disk (be sure to copy your user profile).
m
l
October 4, 2010 1:06:49 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I've since completed the upgrade and just transfered all my files and setting using windows transfer. Then re-installed all my apps...I think this was probably the best approach to take to avoid any possible driver issues with the new chipset. Everything is working great.

Cheers!
m
l
!