Sign in with
Your question

Beginner needing overclocking help

Last response: in Overclocking
October 20, 2010 1:51:49 PM

So I have ordered my new PC and I will want to overclock a bit, I have looked for some information comparable to my system and tech knowledge level, but could not find what I was looking for...

System Specs

Motherboard: P7P55 LX

Processor: i5 760

Memory: GSkill 2x2GB DDR3 1600

Video Card: MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750w

CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Case (though I don't know if it matters...): Antec 300 illusion

And I will be using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste

Some questions...

1) How agressive can I be with the overclock on the cpu and the video card.

2) Can I overclock as soon as I put the computer together or is there a sort of "burn in" period that I should wait out.

3) What are the ranges for an overclock being entry level, intermediate, advanced.

- For example: Entry level - 3.0ghz on the processor 700Mhz on the video card (or whatever it is). Intermediate etc etc etc

4) Memory overclocking. My board says it supports 1600 mhz memory, but my processor appears to only support up to 1333 mhz memory. Is this something that I will have to handle via overclocking or will it be a setting of some sort. Any other information about memory is appreciated greatly, it seems to be the most confusing side of the overclocking thing.

5) If you overclock one part, do you need to overclock the others for any reason, should the overclocks be "equal", is there any sort of "overclocking bottleneck" (if you were to overclock part x so much do you have to overclock part y so much for it all to maintain stability, actually get performance increases etc etc)

6) If anyone has any real overclocking experience with this motherboard, processor, memory, videocard etc please let me know what you know.

7) Anything else I need to know, please let me know...

Thanks for everyone's help. I apologize for the wordyness of the post was just trying to get my information and questions out there.

Mike

a c 197 K Overclocking
October 20, 2010 2:26:36 PM

1. For the CPU, stay within Intel's recommended voltage and thermal limits. Video card? I can't help. I never OC video cards. They run hot enough anyway.

2. I recommend the same sort of stress testing at stock freqs that you do at OC freqs. You need to know that you have a stable system before you overclock.

3. I would describe an entry level CPU OC as what you could do using the stock cooler without increasing the voltage much. Intermediate is, well, intermediate. Advanced is to the bleeding edge of stability.

4. DDR3 RAM - I can't help. But in general, overclocking RAM does not help Intel chips as much as AMD chips.

5. No. You can overclock the CPU, the video card, or both.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
:) 
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 20, 2010 3:29:08 PM

^That, plus

1. Video cards have a lot of variability in their OC ability. Depends on the card, the model, and pure luck. Try MSI Afterburner and FurMark or Kombuster for stability testing. Easy enough to google how-tos.

4. 1333mhz is the highest JEDEC spec, and anything higher does require an overclock. For 1600mhz RAM, easiest thing to do is set the base clock up from 133 to 160, and make sure to set the recommended voltage and timings for the RAM (via your manufacturer). You could also, for example, set 200 base clock and set the CPU and RAM multipliers to what you need, so you could do 3.6, 3.8, 4.0 ghz CPU (anything from 9x to 21x). For the RAM your options are 10x, 8x, 6x so 2000mhz, 1600mhz, 1200mhz at that base clock. The other thing is that you can adjust RAM timings to achieve different speeds at normal voltage. If the RAM is 1600mhz CL8 (8-8-8-24) you could run it at 1400 CL7 or 1800 CL9, maybe even 2000 CL10.

Other than that, there's a bajillion guides on overclocking i5 750/760 (same deal). There's a thread here called "1156 Core i5/i7 Overclocking Guide" that's a great place to start.
!