Looking for Case/PSU advice for big mobo

Hi all, I recently found a Skulltrail (Intel D5400XS) mobo on my desk, along with two quad core Xeons, and 16GB of RAM to use in my new workstation.

It's an E-ATX board, 12x13 in size. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good case for this size? I have a feeling this workstation will run extremely hot, so good cooling is important. I'm also looking for a good power supply that won't completely break the bank. It should probably be in the 1200-1400W range. I don't intend on doing SLI or Crossfire. Just one video card to drive dual monitors. I will have 3 SATA hard drives and a blu-ray burner also.

Thanks, looking forward to any input.
4 answers Last reply
More about looking case advice mobo
  1. Do you want a conservative looking case that is appropriate for an office environment or do you want something that looks like a serious gamer's case? Either way it will probably have to be a full size tower case with very good ventilation, airflow, and cooling. My initial reaction is to recommend the Antec Twelve Hundred case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

I have lots of reference material for psu requirements but nothing for two quad core Xeons. I'll leave that part to someone else.
  2. Thanks for the advice! I have an Antec 900 for my home PC, and I have been really happy with it. Newegg doesn't list E-ATX under the specifications, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't fit. Anyone have any experience?

Given the choice, I'd probably take a boring-looking case, as long as the ventilation and airflow are good.
  3. lotussama said:
    It should probably be in the 1200-1400W range. I don't intend on doing SLI or Crossfire. Just one video card to drive dual monitors. I will have 3 SATA hard drives and a blu-ray burner also.

600-700W should be plenty.
  4. GEE! I just went to the Antec web site and checked the specs for the 1200:

"Compatible Motherboards: Mini-ITX, microATX, Standard ATX"

At almost 20.9 inches in height you'd think it could accomodate an e-atx mobo!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product