Sign in with
Your question

A few general questions OC 1090T (also 1055T)

Last response: in Overclocking
October 20, 2010 7:37:45 PM

Noob looking at first build. Intrigued by OC possibilities. NO GAMING - but want as much horsepower for video encoding etc. I have a few simple questions - thanks

1) I am thinking of spending the extra money to get the 1090T vs the 1055T because it has slightly higher stock speed plus an "easier" overclock. When OCing the 1090T by just changing the multiplier, is it a NECESSITY to also up the voltage? In any case I am trying to understand whether there will be any difference in power usage under an easy OC vs the "complicated OC" which relies on changing FSB speeds etc.

I looked at an article on xbit about OCing the 1055t, and it looked like the power consumption of the SYSTEM (not just the CPU) increased from 150 watts to 300 watts under an overclock scenario. Will this be the same case OCing a Black Edition just thru multiplier?

2) Assuming stock cooling, can I reasonably get to 3.8 on the 1090T?

3) When you raise the multiplier, does that raise EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME or does it just raise the max potential speed? ie, if the CPU is normally coasting along effortlessly while I'm surfing the net (which I think is the Cool N Quiet feature)....do I need to disable CNQ to overclock? I'm trying to figure out if setting up an overclock just thru changing the multiplier is forcing the CPU to run balls-out at all times, which would seem to be placing lots of stress on it for no appreciable reason 90% of the time. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

4) related to #1 and power usage....I am not a gamer.....was looking at getting a 380-425 watt PSU and not more......assuming the answer to #1 is true and there is 150 watts additional under the OC, should I get a bigger PSU? Or if their system is drawing 313 watts total under OC (and they had a graphics card too) is there still plenty of headroom even at 380-425 watts. Perhaps the answer is if its only an extra $10 or so for the bigger PSU, doesn't hurt to get it "just in case"?

Thanks for any help
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
October 20, 2010 8:33:51 PM

1- The stock voltage is enough for some frequencies but in some point u need rise the voltage for an stable OC.

The easy OC means only with multiplier (not as good as u think) and the complicated OC is with the FSB. Why complicated? because rising the FSB also change the RAM speed, NB frequency and HT frequency so u need a little more skills for get an stable OC with very good settings.

Those 150W more can mean CPU plus GPU OC not only CPU.

2- With the stock cooler u can hit the 3.8GHz without problems but with high temps that aren't recommendable when u do OC I think that u don't want kill ur CPU.

3- Some people disable Cool'n'Quite other don't do it u can OC with Cool'n'quite and use PhenomMsrTweaker to custom the Cool'n'Quite options but I recommend that u disable C1E.

4- What other components do u have? I can't give u an exact answer if I don't know the other components of the rig.
m
l
October 20, 2010 9:05:39 PM

saint19 said:
1- The stock voltage is enough for some frequencies but in some point u need rise the voltage for an stable OC.

The easy OC means only with multiplier (not as good as u think) and the complicated OC is with the FSB. Why complicated? because rising the FSB also change the RAM speed, NB frequency and HT frequency so u need a little more skills for get an stable OC with very good settings.

Those 150W more can mean CPU plus GPU OC not only CPU.

2- With the stock cooler u can hit the 3.8GHz without problems but with high temps that aren't recommendable when u do OC I think that u don't want kill ur CPU.

3- Some people disable Cool'n'Quite other don't do it u can OC with Cool'n'quite and use PhenomMsrTweaker to custom the Cool'n'Quite options but I recommend that u disable C1E.

4- What other components do u have? I can't give u an exact answer if I don't know the other components of the rig.

2) My question is can I get to 3.8 and still maintain "ACCEPTABLE" temps on stock cooling.....or will the temps rise enough that I'm hurting the longevity of my CPU?

4) this system is still in my mind, but I would have 1 DVD/RW, maximum 2 HDDs and 1 boot SSD, then all the normal stuff like 2-3 case fans, card reader, etc. Most likely NO GRAPHICS CARD. Perhaps I need to just look at prices because if its literally $10-15 more to get a 500watt vs a 380, might as well just get it JUST IN CASE I ever want or need to throw in a graphics card (versus having to spring for a new PS at the time). If its double the price for a quality unit then I'd probably take the risk I'll never need it......
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
October 20, 2010 9:17:47 PM

1- Yeah u can but keep on eye in the temps if they go above 60ºC is a problem AMD says that the safe voltage for both 1055T and 1090T is 62ºC

2- A 450W or 500W is more that enough for ur rig but keep in mind that if u want add a GPU or Crossfire in the future u will need change the PSU for a better one. Go with Corsair, Seasonic or Antec those are very good brands.
m
l
October 20, 2010 9:54:01 PM

Thanks for this.

I read (twice) the "Tom's Beginner's Guide to Overclocking Black Editions" or whatever.......I realize this all may make more sense once I actually have the computer in front of me, but if I pay the extra for 1090T is this as simple as

1) lock down all the recommended settings for memory etc in the bios (rather than having them auto-adjust)

2) up the CPU multiplier in 0.5x increments. Every time you type in a new multiple, the CPU will be overclocking faster.

3) IF you can still boot into Windows (and perhaps if you can also run thru one of those test routines which name I can't remember offhand) then at THAT MULTIPLIER you are fine with the current voltage and you don't need to touch voltage.

4) Watch your CPU temp to make sure its not getting close to or above 60c.

3)(a) if you can't boot into Windows at a given multiplier level, then you might need to give it a little more juice....tweak up the voltage using Vcore in a very small increment and see if it then works.....goal is to keep the voltage as low as possible while still making it work.....

And all this is done in the Mobo bios

Is that pretty much how it works?

Also re: Cool & Quiet.....if you disable that, then all 6 CPUs will be running all the time at 3.8ghz in OC mode? Does Turbocore still kick in.....ie if only a few cores are active would Turbocore then kick the 3 cores up another 500mhz or whatever to 4.3ghz? Does that cause potential problems?

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 20, 2010 11:50:26 PM

What are your goals for this computer? To be honest, I am a bit leery of doing high OCs on high usage (ie, computation or video editing) PCs, especially with feeble cooling.

The stock voltage will go a little way. I didn't want to OC my 1055T (for the reasons above) and instead undervolted it. I dropped load voltage from 1.4V down to 1.25V and idle from 1V to 0.75V. This is fully stable and dropped load wattage about 40W and idle wattage to within a few watts of an Athlon II X2! I also keep turbo around using K10Stat so I could customize and stress test each p-state.
m
l
October 21, 2010 2:33:41 AM

EXT64 said:
What are your goals for this computer? To be honest, I am a bit leery of doing high OCs on high usage (ie, computation or video editing) PCs, especially with feeble cooling.

The stock voltage will go a little way. I didn't want to OC my 1055T (for the reasons above) and instead undervolted it. I dropped load voltage from 1.4V down to 1.25V and idle from 1V to 0.75V. This is fully stable and dropped load wattage about 40W and idle wattage to within a few watts of an Athlon II X2! I also keep turbo around using K10Stat so I could customize and stress test each p-state.

I dunno.....honestly I have a 5 1/2 yr old machine and when I get a new one I want it to take me out another good amount of time and be powerful enough to edit AVCHD video (as I will likely be getting HD camcorder vs the SD one I have now). Also WHEN I do video encoding, dvd authoring etc I'd like it to be fast.....but I am not a video editor professionally. I would probably be encoding video here and there, average of a few times a week.

I think I wanted to explore the OC just because it seemed like a "WHY NOT" sort of thing....ie if I have a chip running at 3.0, and I can enter the BIOS and all of the sudden run it at 3.6 or 3.8 within proper temps, why not? If it means I'm risking frying my CPU or making the CPU only last 2 years before it fries up, then of course its not worth it to me to save an extra 1 minute 21 seconds on a video encoding job I'm doing here and there......it of course doesn't matter for internet surfing which is what this computer gets used for 80% of the time.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2010 2:40:54 AM

Well that is a concern in OCing then: if the chip is stuck at 3.8GHz and fairly high voltage, it will be wasting a decent bit of power (and producing more 'heat') even when surfing the web).

But note, I am definitely not discouraging OCing (as you can see from my i5), merely providing another perspective.
m
l
October 21, 2010 4:29:16 AM

EXT64 said:
Well that is a concern in OCing then: if the chip is stuck at 3.8GHz and fairly high voltage, it will be wasting a decent bit of power (and producing more 'heat') even when surfing the web).

But note, I am definitely not discouraging OCing (as you can see from my i5), merely providing another perspective.

That was one of this post's original questions re OCing.....can one leave on Cool & Quiet? Because if so, then its great because all I really want to do is raise the ceiling on performance, so to speak. When lightly tasked, have the CPUs float down in voltage and speed, but when necessary, automatically crank up beyond the stock limit. I think if C&Q must be turned off, then its not likely I'll OC on a permanent basis. Maybe only if I know that I've got a big video encoding task or something.

m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
October 21, 2010 4:57:03 AM

Cool'n'Quite can be enable with OC but when u disable it the CPU always will be running at the OC speed even in idle.
m
l
October 21, 2010 5:19:18 AM

saint19 said:
Cool'n'Quite can be enable with OC but when u disable it the CPU always will be running at the OC speed even in idle.

Yeah but I see no reason to disable it if it takes some heat off the CPUs when they're not being used

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2010 12:16:35 PM

The thing I am not sure of is this, as it seems to vary. CnQ drops the multiplier, which can cause issues if you raise the bus speed (because now 4x doesn't equal 800MHz, it equals a higher value, which may or may not be equal at its stock voltage). However if you only multiplier OC and raise the voltage, CnQ should still work fine, however I think when I tried it on my 940 BE it decided to stop reducing the Multi. This might just be a glitch on my board, so I guess all you can do is try. Also note, if you raise/lower the voltage in the BIOS, on my board that change is applied to all P-states, not just the top one.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
October 21, 2010 1:11:00 PM

hogan773 said:
Yeah but I see no reason to disable it if it takes some heat off the CPUs when they're not being used

That's why I say that u can OC the CPU with Cool'n'Quite enable.
m
l
October 21, 2010 2:01:20 PM

EXT64 said:
The thing I am not sure of is this, as it seems to vary. CnQ drops the multiplier, which can cause issues if you raise the bus speed (because now 4x doesn't equal 800MHz, it equals a higher value, which may or may not be equal at its stock voltage). However if you only multiplier OC and raise the voltage, CnQ should still work fine, however I think when I tried it on my 940 BE it decided to stop reducing the Multi. This might just be a glitch on my board, so I guess all you can do is try. Also note, if you raise/lower the voltage in the BIOS, on my board that change is applied to all P-states, not just the top one.

Hmmm so it may depend on the mobo. I guess I need to find someone with a specific mobo and the 1090T who successfully OCs while still retaining CnQ
m
l
February 7, 2011 9:11:30 AM

I have a gigabyte Gigabyte 790xt-ud4p mobo, corsair 1600 hz 2x2gig ram,odin gt psu 800 watts, raptor hard drive, inno3d gtx 295 platinum oc edition gpu, amd pii x 61055t, xigmatek achilles heel cpu cooler and some really good silver thermal paste, in the middle of a heatwave in sydney australia 42 degrees celcius outside.My cpu @ 4130Ghz runs @ 57 degrees celcius. Rock solid stable and with cooler temps i can run this cpu @ 4200Ghz

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1633308.png
m
l
!