Asus GTX 260 vs. Sapphire Radeon HD 4850x2 vs. BFG GTX 280

24 answers Last reply
More about asus sapphire radeon 4850x2
  1. Don't be a fool. The 280 if you can afford it.
  2. http://firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_radeon_4850_x2_review/

    The 4850 x2 is consistently faster than the 280.

    What kind of system are you running, what resolution do you need to drive?
  3. It is only faster if the game or program can scale with cf and then you are about on par with a gtx 285. Let us know what res you are trying to play at and we can go from there.
  4. what resolution are you playing at?

    At lower resolution the gtx 260 should work just fine. At higher resolutions i would highly recommend the gtx 280. Even if the 4850x2 gets better performance on some games, the hassle that you have to go through to get a multi-gpu system working with all your gamins can be a right pain in the ass. The single card solution saves oh so much time and headaches imho
  5. ^true, but the GTX 275 isn't out for a couple more weeks, so thats something to keep in mind.
  6. :P ya but still the main thing is that its NOT OVERPRICED and according to Toms review and many other reviews, has performance comparable to the GTX280/GTX285...And the GTX275 is more efficient than the GTX260...
  7. Get the 4890 it is basically a GTX 285 at a much better price.
  8. The_Blood_Raven said:
    Get the 4890 it is basically a GTX 285 at a much better price.

    In every benchmark I've seen so far, GTX 275 has beat the 4890. The GTX 285 is faster, so I don't know where you're getting this reference.
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx_275/5.htm
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-275,2266-7.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-275-review-test/10
  9. The_Blood_Raven said:
    Get the 4890 it is basically a GTX 285 at a much better price.


    Yeah dude, honestly your throwing words around. This card exchanges blows with the 275 GTX, don't classify the card at what its not.

    Its OC version of 950 mhz+ may compete with the 285 GTX. Other than that, this card is in a lower category. Your the only person thats actually calling a 285 GTX equal.

    I'm all for the 4890 instead of the 275 GTX, but don't go overboard. So many reviews that go against your word.

    Anyways for OP,

    4850 X2 should be the fastest 1, the 280 GTX should be the most stable, and the 260 GTX is the cheapest. You need to give us more information....Resolution size, system specs, what you want from the card etc.
  10. Here are my system specs.

    Processor: e8400 3.0ghz
    Power supply: Rosewill 630 watt
    Memory: 2x2gb PNY

    I wanna play it like 1680x1050. I'm trying to not to go with Ati because of their driver issues. I'm also not sure about the multi-gpu thing but everyone says it the fastest. I wanna play Crysis though. Which is best for that.
  11. I game at that res and have an OC'ed GTX260. Although it does fine I'd like to have the extra stream processors and the extra memory. Those 2 things will allow for better game play especially when you crank up the goodies to make things look nicer and crisper.

    On paper the 4850x2 sems good until you run into games that only work on one of those cores. Then you get the performance of a single 4850 card.
  12. GTX 280 will beat them all.
  13. radiowars said:
    In every benchmark I've seen so far, GTX 275 has beat the 4890. The GTX 285 is faster, so I don't know where you're getting this reference.
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx_275/5.htm
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-275,2266-7.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-275-review-test/10


    I love how you post the 1 benchmark where ATI does the worst. If you look at all the others the 4890 is the same damn thing as a GTX 275, which both are not NOTICEABLY slower than a GTX 285.

    L1qu1d said:
    Yeah dude, honestly your throwing words around. This card exchanges blows with the 275 GTX, don't classify the card at what its not.

    Its OC version of 950 mhz+ may compete with the 285 GTX. Other than that, this card is in a lower category. Your the only person thats actually calling a 285 GTX equal.

    I'm all for the 4890 instead of the 275 GTX, but don't go overboard. So many reviews that go against your word.

    Anyways for OP,

    4850 X2 should be the fastest 1, the 280 GTX should be the most stable, and the 260 GTX is the cheapest. You need to give us more information....Resolution size, system specs, what you want from the card etc.


    No, all the reviews justify what I am saying. I admit I should have explained more, but the same thing applies. The GTX 275 and the 4890 are identical and the GTX 285 is not noticeably faster, the extra 2-5 average FPS will never equal a different gaming experience. This is just how the 4870 1GB is slightly behind the GTX 260 216, but not by an amount that can be seen in anything other than a benchmark. Right now the GTX 285 is kind of useless in the market since it does not give anything to the consumer that a GTX 275 or a 4890 can't, except Tri-SLI. The 4890 is out now so it is the logical choice, the GTX 275 might be slightly cheaper since it is not quite as appealing which will make it the better choice, which ever can be found for cheapest is the best.

    To the OP, there is nothing wrong with ATI's drivers that isn't wrong with nVidia's, your screwed pal :ange:. For the money the 4870 512mb would be good for that resolution, but the 4890 might give you an extra push, it all depends on your budget. The GTX 260 216 is a good card that sometimes can be found for $20 cheaper that the 4870 1GB, so that would be good (I have seen deals like these twice since I believe nVidia is slowly phasing it out). I would stay away from the 4850 X2, since the 4890 is virtually the same without the driver issues (the 4850 X2 is technically not a supported card, but a Sapphire exclusive). Also note that the GTX 280 might be able to be found for real cheap since it is mostly out the door, I will check for you.

    Edit: Sorry all deals on the GTX 280 are gone.
  14. mamw93's moronic fanboyism aside, the 4850x2 is the faster solution but if you do not want to deal with any possible driver issues (dual cards tend to have those issues), then get the 260 or the 280. The 280 can render more frames at the res that you specified than the 260.

    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
    If you can afford the 290 dollars for a 280 then get it.

    The only thing that I can recommend beyond that is to possibly wait for the 275 which will be a bit cheaper and offer similar performance.
  15. 4850x2 ~ 2x4850 Xfire or 2x9800GTX SLi

    4850x2 = lotsa driver issues
    2x4850 Xfire or 2x9800GTX SLi = little driver issues

    4850x2/2x4850 Xfire > GTX280 ~ 9800GX2 > GTX260 ~ 4870
  16. actually 2 4850s outperform 1 4850 X2. I dunno why, but it generally is like that.
  17. x2s ftL?
  18. L1qu1d said:
    actually 2 4850s outperform 1 4850 X2. I dunno why, but it generally is like that.


    Yeah always wondered about that myself.

    Anonymous said:
    mamw93's moronic fanboyism aside, the 4850x2 is the faster solution but if you do not want to deal with any possible driver issues (dual cards tend to have those issues), then get the 260 or the 280. The 280 can render more frames at the res that you specified than the 260.

    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
    If you can afford the 290 dollars for a 280 then get it.

    The only thing that I can recommend beyond that is to possibly wait for the 275 which will be a bit cheaper and offer similar performance.


    Again the 4890 is the the same thing and is cheaper, why would he buy the GTX 280 over it? I don't get it.
  19. The Radeon 4870 rocks and is better that a GTX 280, check it here:

    http://firingsquad.com/hardware/sapphire_radeon_4850_x2_review/page4.asp
  20. Yeah always wondered about that myself.


    Again the 4890 is the the same thing and is cheaper, why would he buy the GTX 280 over it? I don't get it.[/quo

    Cool, I think I'll go with the 4890 myself on the '22 screen with q66 processor it sounds an ideal step up from an old 88GT & much cheaper here in the Republic (of Ireland) than the 275.
  21. I have an ATI RADEON HD4670 and I can play crysis amongst other titles with the video settings maxed without a hitch? I payed $180.00 at best buy for it 3months ago and I havnt had any problems what so ever? Just throwing that out there.
  22. GakReaktor said:
    I have an ATI RADEON HD4670 and I can play crysis amongst other titles with the video settings maxed without a hitch? I payed $180.00 at best buy for it 3months ago and I havnt had any problems what so ever? Just throwing that out there.


    Maxed does not mean 30 FPS on low settings @ 800x640 resolution...
  23. For the money: 260 Gtx 216 superclocked is just fine For 1680 - 1050 Res.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Asus Sapphire HD Radeon Graphics Product