24GB RAM?! wondering what you can do with that...

Some professional photo/video and CAD/CAM apps could potentially use that much. But if you use them, you most likely would know that already. Besides that? Makes a nice space heater, I guess. Good for the e-peen...

One of those questions where if you have to ask, then the answer is probably "no".

<...and please don't mistake me for a 2GB/XP holdout - My own system has 8GB and I've been running 64 bit OS's exclusively for the last 3 years.>

Chyron

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Some professional photo/video and CAD/CAM apps could potentially use that much. But if you use them, you most likely would know that already. Besides that? Makes a nice space heater, I guess. Good for the e-peen...

One of those questions where if you have to ask, then the answer is probably "no".

<...and please don't mistake me for a 2GB/XP holdout - My own system has 8GB and I've been running 64 bit OS's exclusively for the last 3 years.>

Yeah that about sums it up^ if youre buying an alienware youre using it for gaming and in all truth you wont see any real fps/performance gains from such a ridicolous amount of ram.
On an opinion note i would avoid alienware just from a cost standpoint. Youre going to pay 4-6k for something the following year you could buy for 1500-2500 bucks. Youd be better off buying a reasonably priced one and upgrading it every year.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
If you had even a chance of using half that ram, you would already know. Seeing as you have to ask I highly doubt you spend a lot of time doing 3d engineering or HD video editing.

Spend the money somewhere it will actually make a difference instead of wasting it on bragging rights.

leon2006

Distinguished
Design simulation & Verification require a lot of memory and CPU time. I mean a lot more memory. These are cpu task/jobs that run from 2 hours to 6 months depending the nature of jobs. Besides servers are prefer for such task not desktop-workstation. desktop-workstation are use for short or less complicated task.

Its clear that you don't need one. Use the money for something else.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Just like leon is saying... and if you really need to do something that does require 20+GB of ram, chances are you'll want it to be ECC memory as well because I'm betting errors are not acceptable for the job you're doing!

Stick with 8GB or less, otherwise it's a waste of money and resources.