Solid state HDD help. Newb

AkumaMax

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hey guys i'm kinda new to the whole computer scene so sorry if I sound stupid. Any onto my problem/question. I have a computer here that I bought off of one of my buddies. It has an 8gb solid state drive witch I loaded XP onto. It also has a 500gb standerd hard drive. My question is when I try and load programs onto my computer they still write a little to the solid state. Where as I wanted to keep my solid state with just my OS on it and use the 500gb drive for everything else. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Normally a custom install and changing the location of the install should do the trick. I'm assuming you meant 80 gb SSD?

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Well what I do is just whenever I install something, I click advanced/customize install and install it to the 500gb hard drive. Make sure it keep the hard drive organized though, makes some folders each time you install something new. Also you might want to change your download path for your web browser, and make sure you do for your torrent program.

AkumaMax

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
No It has an 8gb SSD not an 80gb. Also yes I do install everything to the 500gb HDD and for some reason when I went to install MS OFFICE it started to install 300mb+ to my SSD