I think I did it this time.

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I brought my cpu to X18 at 200 MHz 1.275v, so 3600 MHz, on a 6 core 1090T BE. It crashed and I reset the CMOS. Standard procedure. I don't know whether I am supposed to load optimal defaults in the BIOS as well, but I did that as well. I get into Windows 7, and it works fine for about a minute or less 3 times. I put in the windows install CD because I figure I may have some corrupted windows files. It wouldn't even load that completely. So I deduce that it's cpu or motherboard damage. Is it possible that the cpu can be damaged but still get me into windows for a minute or so, and the same for the mobo? Experienced OCers- have I ruined something by not putting enough voltage on it? Is the frequency so large that it be all that it takes to fry it? I was under the impression that raising the multplier by 2 wasn't a significant increase. Besides, prime was stable under X17 and it didn't crash after I applied the X18 on Overdrive. What a mess.

freshnbaked

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I did the same thing, corrupted the hard drive windows area, if you can, wipe your HD.....i mean Wipe it to a bare drive 5-6 times to really erase what u did, if you dont do a more than once then its a "soft delete" and bad partitions(very small ones) wont go away, re install windows and try it again. If that doesnt work.... you really messed the hard drive up.....gj :) lol and you have to buy a new, SS Hybrids from Seagate seem to be super resilitant to such abuse and are just as fast as SSD with the price and capacity of a HDD. Its really not that bad and your chip and Mobo are fine.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
Go into bios and set everything to factory defaults manually. CPU multiplier everything. Try and boot. If it still fails to boot then go into bios and set everything to failsafe defaults. Try and boot. If that still fails then in all likelihood you have a corrupted drive. You might possibly be able to do a repair install of windows and fix the issue at least enough to rescue your data. Then reformat and try again. But I wouldn't push it as far this time. You've likely found the max OC for your cooling solution and setup.

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for the input guys, I think that I will try that if I need to, but I seem to have everything working again just fine without doing anything other than just reseting the CMOS again. I'm not sure what you are saying, though, Rigit, about doing a repair. If I can at least backup my files after a repair, then it seems to me that my problem would already be solved, because the only thing that is wrong is that I get my computer freezing up. But I will keep all of this in mind if I come to it, but I think I'll just wait and see what happens. My understanding from what I've heard is that it is possible that the OS could be the only problem and not the hard drive. Not that it isn't the hard drive, it's just what I've heard. Btw, my cooling seems to be pretty good. I haven't had any problems with CPU temps. In fact, it has stayed below 40 or so the whole time. I have read through James Scholes' overclocking guides and been taught some cooling solutions. He had me put an extra fan on the bottom of the case and put a hole through the top to let warm air escape. He did stress keeping the case closed up to prevent the vacuum of the fans from not working efficiently. One thing that worries me is that both stock fans are right near the CPU fan and I thought that because the CPU fan is right in front of the fan that is pulling air out I would put the CPU fan directly in front of that fan. The biggest concern that I had about overclocking is that I was not using enough voltage. My guess is that I wasn't doing the best stress test and I pulled it up to X18 without overvolting or testing X17 or X17.5 first. Using the AMD Overdrive software, before I was aware of the problem with doing this, I brought it up to 4.3 GHz slowly at first and only had the voltage up to 1.3375. When I clicked the apply button it was fine without a stress test. Of course, I know that it should be tested raising the multiplier in slow increments; when I clicked the ok button (that exits the program), it crashed then. That was weird to me, because I thought that the ok button and the apply button were the same thing. Maybe someone could explain to me why Overdrive does this.