Windows shut down to protect bla bla bla

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I go and take a shower, come back to a blue srceen saying my computer has shut down to protect against damage etc etc. You pros probably have seen this screen many times in your profession. My prob is that I have 2 hard drives one for my OS one for Storage. I disconnect the f drive which is the storage and I can get to my desktop just fine but once I plug in the f drive and restart I now find myself with this same blue screen.

When I restart I can choose safe mode, networking, no networking, safe mode with dos...So of course I'd like to get to dos but if I choose safe mode with dos I still reach blue screen. I don't have a windows xp disc. Is it possible to make a start up disc that will let me run chkdsk on my f drive. I am running Tiny Xp beast edition and have been doing so for a long time with no problems. There is a chance that it might be a virus but I doubt that my windows is smart of to shut itself down to stop a virus attack. So I think its just some random disc error but how can I fix if I cannot use computer with the f drive connected?

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I just went through my task manager saw some foreign exe's running so deleted those out of the temp, unchecked them in msconfig....sons of bitches. Even if this virus related I am still unsure how to get the computer to start up with my f drive connected

There are quite a few rescue CD packages out there. While you are in safemode/networking check out spybot or linux rescue cd's. You hae to burn the images to your cd/rw drive. Even the linux one is supposed to allow you to run your windows utilities.

camplo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Well I can start up just fine as long as the f drive is not connected. Right now I'm installing avg to prepare to deal with what might be on the f drive once I get there. I didn't know of these rescue cd packages but I will search them. Thanks for the heads up. The only thing I fear is this sentence. "Even lunix is supposed o allow you to run your windows utilities" . Since I have tiny xp, I would not be surprised if my computer personally is equipped with such windows utilities. Everything needs to be 3rd party. Thank you so much for your response.
camp