Sign in with
Your question

Issue with my PSU

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2009 3:33:26 AM

Hi,

I have a COMPAQ D530 SFF a P4 computer that comes with a 185W PSU. However it broke. Therefore I’m using the 350W PSU.

I have the following questions because, since I start to use 350W PSU my power bill has risen tremendously.

1. What does it mean by 185W or 350W on a PSU? Does it mean it sucks 185W or 350W of energy from the Mains (House power)?

2. How can I minimize the power consumption of the P4 machine?

cheers

More about : issue psu

June 11, 2009 6:23:48 AM

zuling said:
Hi,

I have a COMPAQ D530 SFF a P4 computer that comes with a 185W PSU. However it broke. Therefore I’m using the 350W PSU.

I have the following questions because, since I start to use 350W PSU my power bill has risen tremendously.

1. What does it mean by 185W or 350W on a PSU? Does it mean it sucks 185W or 350W of energy from the Mains (House power)?

2. How can I minimize the power consumption of the P4 machine?

cheers

185W and 350W is basically a guide to how much power it can provide to a system, it doesn't mean that it is using that much power. The only thing that might be causing an increase in an energy bill could be because of the PSU efficiency, or... how much energy is being used to power your system and how much is given off as heat. Also, how much has the bill risen?
!