How to overcock a gaming laptop with a crappy bios

freshnbaked

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Ok before you say, dont over clock a laptop because of heat, not worth it, and I'll damage my system, I don't care, I have the overclocking bug for 2-3 years now and with my laptop which is a Acer 5740 with a I5-430M, Radeon 5650M chip with 4Gb 1066 with a Pheonix MB(They dont help either)

It seems that EVERY program I try to OC my Processor or Graphics card OR my ram its seem not possible. either says driver not supported ect ect ect.

How do I say F off and give me more speed, Have a desktop with a I5-760 at 4.3ghz without problems, and I know pretty much everything there is to know about overclocking but my laptop wont budge.....setfsb, ati tool, and programs like that dont work.

Can I reflash my bios to a desktop setting or something, what havent I heard of yet. please explain.

And when I load up Hwaremoniter it says my fans are running at 30% and don't even have a setting to change that, and speedfan and all the *** doesn't work either.

Laptops have locked BIOS'. If all the standard Windows utilities do not work, you cannot overclock your laptop.

A BIOS is customized for a specific model of motherboard. So, no, you cannot flash your laptop with a BIOS designed for a desktop.

As far as hwmonitor and speedfan are concerned, you have a locked BIOS. You can use them to read the settings, but you cannot change them.

You could check out http://bios-mods.com/forum/ But since you have a Pheonix BIOS you are out of luck. They havent had any success with Pheonix. If you do find something that works let me know.

Btw I was able to OC my graphics card with Riva Tuner after I modded the supported card list. (Radeon 4570). You could try MSI Afterburner worked for my card also but I used rivatuner because I could get a larger freqnency range to do a big underclock.

I have a Dell Studio 1555, I knew I wasnt going to be able to overclock it when I bought it and I accepted it. I tried various programs like you did none of them worked. Unless Bios-Mods.com has a breakthrough with Pheonix BIOSes its time for a new laptop if you want to overclock.

freshnbaked

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Any suggestions. Next laptop I would like the 5870's in X-fire(and if anyone has them please tell me how they are working...temp...fps type of things) and the I7....But I dont know which one would be best, 620-720-840-920-940, is it worth it to overclock a 720qm to 3.5+ ghz or splouge money on it and dont tell my wife?