How to fix cyclic redundancy check on external hard drive

blastewitz

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hello,
i have a Iomega 1Tb external hdd, and the problem is i can't access it in windows 7 anymore i get the crc(cyclic redundancy check) but i can access it with a imac and a dell with windows xp without any errors whatsoever. can anyone help please? thank you!

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Buy a new HDD, and move all you're important data to the new HDD. While you may be able to access the HDD w/ imac or xp Windows 7 CRC error is indicating the HDD is dying either way. Assuming you already have a external enclosure or some other means of reading the HDD, a new 1 TB HDD isn't too incredibly expensive. You need to make sure your enclosure and Hard drive are compatible before buying although, they should probably be SATA connections.

mgarand2k11

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
crc error doesn't necessarily mean that the hard drive is dying, it could be as simple as a faulty usb or firewire cable. if it is working on other computers then it is more than likely a driver issue, try rolling back the usb controller drivers.
i had the problem on windows 7 at first i thought it was a driver issue then i managed to replicate the error on another machine it turned out just to be a short in my usb cable

timelessdeb

Honorable
May 19, 2012
mgarand2k11 is absolutely correct! I had the same problem; I couldn't read my photos on my external Iomega drive. I tested by changing my USB cable to one I use for my mobile phone and it worked - Thanks!