Sign in with
Your question

How to fix cyclic redundancy check on external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
September 28, 2010 12:25:14 AM

Hello,
i have a Iomega 1Tb external hdd, and the problem is i can't access it in windows 7 anymore i get the crc(cyclic redundancy check) but i can access it with a imac and a dell with windows xp without any errors whatsoever. can anyone help please? thank you!
a b G Storage
September 28, 2010 5:14:48 AM

blastewitz said:
Hello,
i have a Iomega 1Tb external hdd, and the problem is i can't access it in windows 7 anymore i get the crc(cyclic redundancy check) but i can access it with a imac and a dell with windows xp without any errors whatsoever. can anyone help please? thank you!

Buy a new HDD, and move all you're important data to the new HDD. While you may be able to access the HDD w/ imac or xp Windows 7 CRC error is indicating the HDD is dying either way. Assuming you already have a external enclosure or some other means of reading the HDD, a new 1 TB HDD isn't too incredibly expensive. You need to make sure your enclosure and Hard drive are compatible before buying although, they should probably be SATA connections.
April 26, 2012 11:23:45 PM

crc error doesn't necessarily mean that the hard drive is dying, it could be as simple as a faulty usb or firewire cable. if it is working on other computers then it is more than likely a driver issue, try rolling back the usb controller drivers.
i had the problem on windows 7 at first i thought it was a driver issue then i managed to replicate the error on another machine it turned out just to be a short in my usb cable
May 19, 2012 8:52:01 PM

mgarand2k11 is absolutely correct! I had the same problem; I couldn't read my photos on my external Iomega drive. I tested by changing my USB cable to one I use for my mobile phone and it worked - Thanks!

!