How bad is overclocking for a computer?

I overclocked my AMD Athlon II X3 440 from 3.01 ghz to 3.3 ghz. My computer does not have the best ventalation but the CPU is still running cool. I know that overclocking stresses parts too, but how much? I ran a 6 hour stress test where is runs my CPU at 100%, and it said it was stable. How much life span of my CPU do you guys think will be takin away from my CPU?

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Lol Thanks.
No, I dont think it will hurt anything. Like I said as long as you keep temps and voltage in safe ranges then the CPU should last a long time. I would read up on the voltage and temp limits of your CPU. 73c and 1.5v I think
Also you might be able to unlock the 4th core on that CPU depending on your motherboard.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Ask my q6600 how it's doing at almost 4 years. I have never run the thing at stock voltage or speed, well except to install windows and other programs for the first time.

If you keep all your voltages below their max rated settings, there will not be a significant decrease in life span, provided you keep the parts cool.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
1.4v on the Core with temp. 50c, at 100%. And that's a temp. that will never be seen with most apps. Something else will fail in the system before the CPU.

You should be good to go for a few years.

UF

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
No, you should be ok just dont tweak on it everyday for months straight.
Find something that works and you are happy with and leave it alone.
Dont try to break records and you should be fine.
Tweaking is normal and sometimes you will have to go back and tweak some more, just dont do it excessively.