PCU Usage hovering around 25% please help

I have a very fast custom built PC with 8 GIGS of RAM however sometimes my CPU usage starts hovering around 25% even though there are no processes using memory in task manager. This is causing a problem when I try and play games it makes the games lag really bad. It seems like this happens randomly and usually goes away when I restart but now the restart doesn't work.. it's still doing it.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

I can't for the life of me find out what's causing this lag... it doesn't look like my AVG is running anything either.
6 answers Last reply
More about usage hovering help
  1. Look in task manager to find out what is using the CPU time. Make sure you have the "show processes from all users" box checked.
  2. Like I said... I've looked through task manager already and there is nothing that jumps over 2% and yes it's showing all processes from all users.
  3. You've got some software conflicting, I'm pretty sure. Could also be a bad driver. I had that happen to me a few years ago as well and couldn't positively figure it out either. But I seem to recall uninstalling software until I found the conflict and CPU went back down. (but I don't remember for sure)
  4. You can sort your process by %CPU usage. If you have 4 processes at 2% each, there is your 8%. Just do it and find out where it's going. Then determine if you need those processes.
  5. Download and run Process Explorer - It's basically Task manager on Steroids.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

It *will* tell you what processes are using what resources.
  6. Thanks for the link Scotte
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs