Sign in with
Your question

Why partition a hard drive

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 28, 2010 5:50:36 AM

Hello,
I don't understand why I should partition when installing a new HDD. what its purpose is and, if I am setting up something on a separate partition, how do I access it????

More about : partition hard drive

September 28, 2010 6:51:29 AM

the reason i would partition a hard drive is because i would want to store all my media/music/movies on the second partition..

this allows me to reformat my computer if i ever need to (virus, etc.) and keep my data without having to back it up again or move it to another hard drive.

other than that, i can't think of any logical reasons why i would partition a hard drive.. maybe someone else can chime in regarding other reasons to partition a hard drive.

you will be able to access your partition in "My Computer" and it will be under another letter for the drive. (So instead of one HUGE C: Drive, you will have two smaller drives, C:, and D:) 
m
l
a c 383 G Storage
September 28, 2010 11:58:00 AM

You can partition a drive if you need multiple formats. I have this drive dock that I use with a 1Tb drive. I have a large NTFS partition that I store my computer backups on, and a smaller FAT32 partition that I use to back up my PS3. I use the eSATA on my computer and USB on the PS3.
m
l
!