michaeld_83

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Hi knowledgable members, i could really do with some advice from the PC savvy as there is potentially alot of money in this.

I am thinking about buying a gaming pc to complement my ps3 as there are certain games, particularly racing sims which are much more pc based. I am not looking for a super pc that can play games like Crysis at full blast as i have my Ps3 for FPS and the like.

What i would like is a desktop which will make me able to play games such as rfactor 2 (when it comes out) and the new cricket and other sports game. Basically good enough to play most games out and coming out but without the need to go run the ubergames.

The main deal is that i am going to use my HDTV instead of a monitor. I know the resolution is not ideal but many have been pleased with using their HDTV for games and i don't want to buy a new monitor.

I have this tv:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-26LXD70-Widescreen-Viera-Freeview/dp/B000PE0ES4

Resolution: 1366 x 768
100Hz
8500:1 contrast
8ms response time

What is the ideal graphic cards for my needs bearing in mind there is no need for overkill as my tv will mean i cannot take advantage of the best cards and also that it needs to be good enough to run the games i need?

I hear that good AA is needed for HDTV pc'ing so good AA would be ideal.

Any ideas what would be best? Also any other advice such as processor and other aspects as i want to buy a prebuilt desktop rather than build one myself.

Thanks for your time

Wolfshadw

Titan
Probably looking at an ATI HD 4650 at a minimum. That should play any game out today at modest settings. Concerning your new system, I'd probably be looking for a Quad-Core (either Intel or AMD) system running at least 2.0GHz or a Dual-Core running at least 3.0 GHz with 4 Gig of RAM.

-Wolf sends

lasoski311

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
what is ur budget for the entire system, id like to make a suggestion but i have no idea how much money your willing to spend

michaeld_83

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the advice so far everyone, i will definately buy a prebuilt system rather than building one as i wouldn't have a clue what i was doing.

Budget wise i would want to spend as little as possible but i would go up to £500 i guess.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looks like a decent system (though I not familiar with pricing across the pond). It's a bit overkill in the graphics department, but "more than enough" isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-Wolf sends

jennyh

Splendid
No it's not worth the £900. Also, beware any ebay sellers who claim their processors are above 3.2ghz.

Just go for a solid mid range system, it will cost you no more than £600 and that's a good one.

Get a phenom II cpu like the 720 black edition, ati 4830, cheapish ddr2 motherboard and 4gb of the cheapest ddr2 800mhz you can find. Throw in a decent 500w psu, cheap case and standard hd/dvd writer. The parts themselves cost no more than £450, vista is another £40 or so and the labour should bring it up to £550.

michaeld_83

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks wolf and jenny. I didn't bid on the system as he wouldn't give me any warranty or guarantee despite it being new and saying he initially made it for a customer which suggests a business and businesses should give warranty on new desktops surely.

If an ebay seller has thousands of excellent feedback, sells lots of cpu stuff and says they will give a years warranty on a desktop do you think it is safe to go with it? even if the desktop seems so cheap for what is included? (bearing in mind the price will rise of course)