Solved: updating bios without windows/floppy for biostar TA790GX XE

ahcollins3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I just bought a new mb, cpu, and memory when my old 939 motherboard died. I can't get windows to install (it hangs at Setup is Starting Windows), so I'm trying to update the bios. Biostar does not seem to have a bios flasher that doesn't work without windows. I have a floppy drive, but no floppy disks.

I have the following setup:

Biostar TA790GX XE (bios date 1/13/09)
Athlon II x2 250
Seagate Barracuda 640gb SATA 3.0gb/s
Patriot Viper PC2-8500 1066mhz DDR2 4gb (2x2gb)
Diamond Radeon 4670 1gb

Thank you in advance for your help.

Solution
I have the same rig as you, and faces the same problem. I believe you could put the new bios in the usb and right after you hit power bottom, you would press F12 until its built-in flasher comes up (from mannual). Unfortunately, I messed up my bios reflash by using third party flasher (didn't know it has a built-in flasher until later) and have to RMA my board. Hopefully the new board will come within a week.

Try and tell me if that works for you

dontkowna

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I have the same rig as you, and faces the same problem. I believe you could put the new bios in the usb and right after you hit power bottom, you would press F12 until its built-in flasher comes up (from mannual). Unfortunately, I messed up my bios reflash by using third party flasher (didn't know it has a built-in flasher until later) and have to RMA my board. Hopefully the new board will come within a week.

Try and tell me if that works for you

Solution

ahcollins3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
505090: Thanks for the tip, tried 4 different configurations between 2 dimms and ran memtest86 for each config no luck. Ram passed all tests.

dontknowna: Ended up flashing the bios (don't know how I missed F12 it in the manual). The system installs windows just fine now.

Thank you both.

dontkowna

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Congratulation. Did you flash it the bios downloaded from the website?

BTW, I wish I read my manual before I flash it :cry: (I believe I killed my board by using a thrid party flasher) . Now I have to pay for my mistake by waiting for another week.

ahcollins3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

I download the 6/09 bios. I think the problem was a conflict with the Athlon II being properly recognized. There are a couple of beta bios out there, but I didn't want to risk it.