Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I built a new rig last Christmas. The important specs are:

nForce 680i mobo
8800GT's in SLI
Q6600 proc - slightly OC'd
4GB RAM
Plenty powerful PSU

I play Age of Conan daily and with the new DX10 patch, I find I just don't have the horsepower to play it comfortably. I have to run in DX9 mode.

Also, it'd be nice to finally be able to play Crysis with all settings maxed (most specifically AA).

My monitor runs at a native 1440 x 900, and I have no desire to go beyond that.

Should I wait for a new generation of cards? Should I pick up a 295? Should I upgrade my proc? ...should I do anything?

This was the setup of setups about a yearish ago, but I feel like Im falling behind :)

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
The Q6600 G0 stepping can easily OC to 3.2 GHZ with a decent heatsink/fan. That would be one option.

Also, the Geforce 260 sp216 in SLI should kick out quite a bit more FPS than your current setup.

At that resolution however, your bottleneck is *most likely* the CPU.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

I'd suggest overclocking your CPU too. The only problem is that the nforce chipsets are known for their poor overclocking ability with any core2 setup. But yeah, 2 8800 GT's should still be good for your setup.

You didn't say what the slight overclock was, but a Q6600 shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck for any GPU at your resolution. If you're willing to pay out for a GTX 295, why wouldn't you get something bigger with how cheap bigger monitors have become? With your current res, you might be just as happy getting a GTX 260 or 4870 1GB for much less if you really want to buy something for a slight increase in performance. Just keep in mind that a single, more powerful card will generally beat out any 2 lesser cards in any SLI/crossfire setup though.

whpz87

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I see.

I'm running the Q6600 at 2.8Ghz right now, I think stock is somewhere around 2.6. The temp is right around 60 degrees C at full load so I don't really want to go much above that, but who knows maybe I could push it. I have a gigantic heatsink sitting on top of it so my ceiling might be higher.

As for the monitor, I'm in a dorm room with super limited desk space so I don't want to get anything too gargantuan :)

Is it safe to say that no one can run AoC in DX10 no AA with much more than 20ish FPS? Any AoC players comment?