Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU big enough for a GTX-275?

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2009 12:59:59 PM

I am building a new computer and already have a 500W Antec Earthwatts PSU. It has 34Amps between the two 12V rails. This is probably a dumb question but, would this PSU be sufficient?

I plan to build:
Phenom II X3 720, 95W
4Gb DDR3 1333 Ram
74gb WD Raptor HD
250gb Seagate 7200.1 HD
Gigabyte MOBO
EVGA GeForce GTX 275

I realize that the minimum requirements for the GPU says 40Amps and 500W, but usually those are slight exaggerations.

So yea, if someone could let me know if I will be okay using only a 500W PSU with 34Amps, I would greatly appreciate it.

More about : psu big gtx 275

June 11, 2009 3:35:55 PM

I think it should work but you'd be pushing the PSU pretty hard. The problem I see is that it's a dual rail PSU which usually means the motherboard and CPU are on one rail and everything else is on the other. Therefore you would have the GPU and your drives all running off one rail which might cause an issue. That said the Antec is a good power supply and you should be fine. The reason they exaggerate their numbers is because there are a lot of people that buy crappy Rosewill or Raidmax PSU's (among others) that can't handle the power their rated for.
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2009 9:35:40 PM

ausch30 said:
The problem I see is that it's a dual rail PSU which usually means the motherboard and CPU are on one rail and everything else is on the other. Therefore you would have the GPU and your drives all running off one rail which might cause an issue. That said the Antec is a good power supply and you should be fine.

AFAIK the Earthwatts is actually a single rail labeled as a dual.
!