E6320 stuck @ 3.25 ghz

zagitta

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hello, I recently bought a 4850x2 for a pretty good price however what i did not think of was whether or not it was gonna get bottlenecked... And guess what my old c2d E6320 @ 3,25 ghz did infact turn out to bottleneck it :p

So in my pursuite of higher FPS tried to get even higher but it seems that my 2x Corsair XMS2 2GB CL5 pc2-6400 is the limiting factor of the OC although the ram fsb ratio is 1:1

Anyway TL:DR the gfx is getting bottlenecked and I don't know whether i should buy 6-8gb pc2-8400 ram to allow even more OC or would i be better off buying another CPU?

OR even more costly: should i just wait and save up money for a new motherboard, cpu and ram to upgrade to i-5(7?)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for whatever gramma and spelling mistakes i might have made :<

Hey no problem.

Anyways. I see you have issues with the RAM. What is the voltage rating? Also, if you want to upgrade wait unitll the New Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer microarchitectures come out.

Forget the RAM. Faster RAM will not help. Overclocking RAM on a Core2 system will give you little, if any performance increase.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth

At 3.25 GHz, whatever you are getting is not much of a bottleneck. I think you have two choices: wait for Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer or put in one of the newer E6800 or E7500 Wolfdale CPU's for $80 - $100 U.S. if they are compatible with your motherboard.

I have an E7500 in a GA-EP35-DS3P running at 4.1 GHz with a Xig Dark Knight cooler.

zagitta

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
@dogman_1234: +0.4v on the sticks and i've tried giving everything else more juice aswell without any results so rest is on stock

@jsc I think you missunderstood my intend, I don't want to OC my ram but increasing the FSB does infact OC my poor 800mhz sticks because of the low multiplyer the E6320 has (7x)
right now my FSB is set to 465 which results in a 930 mhz speed on the ram which is limiting FURTHER overclocking, not the preformance itself :)

On a side note, i also tried slacking the timings but that didn't help either...

Btw my motherboard is a ga-965p-ds4 (rev 1)

Anyway it must be my cpu that's bottlenecking the system because:
1) tomshardware charts lists the 4850x2 @ 19k in 3dmark06 while i get a mere 14k
2) cpu usage on both cores are often 100% in newer games
3) disabling one of the cores on the card and running 3dmark06 will only decrease my score to 11k...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,1829.html look at a single 4850... 14k which is what my x2 scores :/

4745454b

Titan
The problem with 3D mark is the CPU gets part of the score. So the better your CPU, the higher the score. But thats not always the case with games. Rarely do you see games that have a CPU bottleneck. They happen, but not as often as the GPU bottlenecks.

While I agree that you have some bottleneck problems, I don't think its that serious. Do you have a friend with a better CPU? Try throwing your GPU in his computer and see what it scores. As long as your getting playable frame rates in games, what difference does 3k bungholio marks make?

4745454b

Titan
Change ram value? What does that mean? If he's already at 1:1, there isn't anything left for him to change. His ram seems to max out at 930MHz, so thats as far as he can go. I'm assuming he's already gone down to 5 or 6 on the timings, and up the voltage to 2.0-2.2. Buying new ram is pointless, time for a new setup.