Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need suggestions into my watercooling purchase

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 12:03:25 AM

Hey there everyone.

After my initial and successful attempts at modding the Corsair H50 to cool my Q9550 as well as my NB, i've decided i want to go all out, overclock and also get efficient/superior cooling while being quiet.

I've looked around the net and the forum posts+stickies
Here are my (influenced) choices:

Heatkiller Rev 3 CPU Waterblock for Intel 775 Copper CPU block

Swiftech H20-220 Edge Liquid Cooling Kit

I intend to use the combo rad/pump/reservoir but leave the swiftech waterblock. I'm confuesd with what sort of barb/compression fittings i'll need...what the difference between the two? I'm looking at asthetically pleasing as well as a performance choice - so i'd want your feedback with the fittings for the CPU block as well :) 

I'm open to suggestions about the setup/hardware but the only catch here is that it be on UK shipping sites :sol: 

I use my rig for gaming (but not a hardcore gamer/overclocker), redering work, Maya and autoCAD and i dont intend to add a GPU to the loop, oh btw i plan to keep the fusion block NB unified cooling system on the Rampage Extreme which is 10mm (copper painted red) while having the rad mounted on the top of the case in my Thermaltake Spedo.

Thankyou for your time.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 2:00:47 AM

^ DO NOT replace the XT! The Swiftech XT is a better block than the HK 3.0! The only higher block than the XT is the EK Supreme HF.

Don't bother cooling the NB. It has very little influence on OCing performance.

As for the pump in that kit, it is a new model, there isn't any reliable testing done on it, however, according to Swiftech them self it works better than the MCP655: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp35X.asp

As for barbs, that kit should come with all the barbs you need (assuming no NB in loop).
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 6:27:27 PM

Pretty interesting little pump, there. I'd love to see Skinnee run this through his lab tests for some 3rd party comparisons.

And yes, you should get everything you need in that kit...you don't need NB blocks. Most MB's have active cooling on them anyway, so you should be fine. If not. find yourself a $10 fan and mount it...its all you should need.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 7:31:59 PM

I didnt expect a reply so soon >>> :) 

about the kit - thas what i was thinking at first when i saw the kit, but i was thinking of replacing the cpu block with the HK 3.0 Copper cos it'd go with my setup. About the NB cooling - yeah i got a Copper water block that goes with the unified cooling system -you'll know its called the Fusion Block system. That's what i have hooked up right now with my modded Corsair H50

Here's what it looks like - sorry about the pic - cell phone quality my Rebel XT is at the workshop (its an older pic , i'll post another pic if you guys want of my new setup)

Agreed - since I'm not getting the HK block - then theres no need to get barbs/fittings :) 

Alright then - what fans can i get for a push/pull setup - mind you i'll get a pair of fans from swiftech so should i get another pair or get 2 pairs and replace the existing ones?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2010 8:26:12 PM

^ I'd personally go with Yate Loon or Scyth Slipstreams for performance (CFM vs dB) or Gentle Typhoons for silence.
m
l
October 23, 2010 3:46:23 AM

I'll second the gentle typhoons...set them up in push/pull and you can crank down the RPMs and still get very good airflow, and it barely makes a whisper.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 23, 2010 11:43:58 AM

so... A pair or TWO of the typhoons? what about the shrouds, is that needed or can i just pull it off with the fans mounted in push/pull?

btw the review you posted Shadow703793 - i was able to get to the H20 EDGE's product page and they illustrated that i can use another dual/triple rad if I wanted in the future so i think the pumps more than capable of handling the loops/bends.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 24, 2010 6:38:07 PM

Best answer selected by Lutfij.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2010 8:56:31 PM

Quote:

btw the review you posted Shadow703793 - i was able to get to the H20 EDGE's product page and they illustrated that i can use another dual/triple rad if I wanted in the future so i think the pumps more than capable of handling the loops/bends.

Yes, the pump according to Swiftech's specs is more capable than the MCP655. But until there is testing done on that pump by Skeenee (he is THE go to guy for WCing info) I'll hold off on recommending it as I don't really believe in manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, Swiftech is one of the best companies out there, but I tend to wait until real testing is done before recommending a new product.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 11:37:10 AM

^^^ agreed and i'll hold out a bit for the results - my corsair H50 can hang on until then :) 

skeene huh? does he have a link or on a forum where he's always seen?
m
l
!