PC Build help!!!! $#&@%$

atomicpa

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Won't begin start up even after full parts/connector inspection.

Here's what I bought: (if you see a compatability problem, let me know... all of it should work together just fine)

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI25400-4GDB - Retail

COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply - Retail

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail (she's beautiful and HUGE)

ASUS V52 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail (plus silver Thermal comp)

I have the CD/DVD Rom drives from the old PC transfered into the new Coolmaster case. Also I just bought a new HDD a month ago and transfered it to the new tower.

Here's the deal, I got it all in. It was all hooked up properly. I push the power button on the case and it slowly revs..revs...revs.. and then shuts off. I have no idea what the problem here is. I can't find a problem anywhere. I've removed the PSU and put in another from the old PC I was replacing (550 watt). That one imediately shut down and didn't even rev. So, I systematically remove possible componants (CD/DVD drives), leds, case fans and the like to see if that's the problem, still no love.

I'm about ready to throw something here. This isn't my first build, and I've modded almost every PC I've ever owned, but this $#%@& is driving me crazy people. If anyone has a decent idea as to what is going on (or not able to go on) I'd really appreciate the assist.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Specs
Budget: VGA:9800gt nvidia Monitor:
MB:gigabyte OS:win xp home Browser:
CPU:intel core 2 duo Sound:sound blaster CPU Pps:home, gaming, light small business
Memory:ddr2 667 PSU:700watt HD: WD 500gig Cooling:asus

the1tarheel

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
shortstuff_mt 03-10-2009 at 07:47:30 PM | BBCode | Hide | Report Show message
- 0 +

Honorary Poster
More Information
Member configuration
I'd start off by going through this checklist:

What he said

How long do the fans spin with the PSU?

What's the brand and model of the old PSU? What's the brand and model of the video card?

OK. After you go through the checklist, try this:

Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is alled "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU. Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

You really have not eliminated the PSU. You could have something wrong with new PSU and the old one might not be able to support the load of the new system. Trying to boot without the graphics card installed may help verify a good or bad PSU.