Sign in with
Your question

Video card with no fan, caused blanking and overheat, shorter life?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2009 7:19:01 PM

I was upgrading the bios on my ATI video card in another computer, because it required windows to do so. That video card requires a molex connector for power to its fan. the wire to the fan got caught in the grill, and so the video card was runing for a few minutes, while i was trying to flash the video bios, with the fan not rotating. it caused the screen to go blank, and i was unsure as to the exact cause (thought it might be cause of a flash proceedure, wasn't) then i checked, powered off, noticed there was a slight scent being produced. i of course turned off the computer, and hooked up the fan, and made did what i needed to do to the bios. and the video card is working just fine. the odor it made, wasn't too strong, but it was slightly noticeable. i'm wondering if i may have shortened the lifespan of my video card, or if i can safely ignore this incident. it didn't get so far as to render any of the chips burnt, but it was running wtihout a fan for a minute or two, and the screen did go blank. i'm not entirely sure what the lifespan of a video card is, but my concern now, is how long is this video card going to live?

thanks so much for your help
April 4, 2009 9:40:45 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. A minute or two in 2D clocks with 0% load without a fan isn't going to do that much damage. Either way, there isn't much you can do about it anyway. I'd say it will last at least till when you need an upgrade to play games maxed out in the future.
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2009 11:37:59 AM

It's not going to bother it anymore than you are already doing by tweaking the BIOS and overclocking the card. I assume that is what you are doing, otherwise updating the BIOS on a GPU is kind of pointless. Right?
April 4, 2009 12:30:12 PM

no i am not overclocking the card. i was hoping to gain better support for open source drivers by updating the bios. i dont play games either. its somewhat of a costly card too, one of the FireGL's. i'd hate for it to have to die on me sooner, than later. its currently working though.
April 4, 2009 1:58:23 PM

Oops! You didn't mention it was a workstation.

+1 jit no point in flashing a diff. bios. even if it dies, can't you RMA?
April 4, 2009 2:26:57 PM

definiately cannot RMA something with a fan that i put on myself because the original fan was way too loud to be acceptable in a desktop case. i just hope it lasts a long time. i wish i had known better than to overlook any wires hitting the grill. its working perfectly acceptably. i haven't put any strain on the video card though. i should probably do some sort of benchmarking on the card, to put some strain on it, just to make sure it'll function, under strain.

thanks for the replies.
April 4, 2009 4:00:42 PM

Oops again! Just realized what you meant by the fan with the molex connectors. You changed it. That was just dumb. Wasn't worth losing the warranty. You can't even regulate speed.

On a side note, the fan I use with my Ultima 90 is molex - no speed control. But I prefer to run it at full speed.
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2009 4:12:17 PM

If it's working fine now, I'd say you are a-okay. No worries.
April 4, 2009 4:51:14 PM

rags_20 said:
Oops again! Just realized what you meant by the fan with the molex connectors. You changed it. That was just dumb. Wasn't worth losing the warranty. You can't even regulate speed.

On a side note, the fan I use with my Ultima 90 is molex - no speed control. But I prefer to run it at full speed.

i disagree. the fan was way too loud. i had to do something about the noise. i sleep in the same room as my computer. i regret not paying enough attention to the wires though. regardless, its not giving me any issues at the moment.

thanks all for the replies.

!